Airport Express or new Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ks-man, Mar 4, 2009.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

My home currently has a Time Capsule in the basement connected to my cable modem. I also have an Airport Express on the 2nd level to extend the wireless network.

In a few months I will be finished with my home office on the main level. I was planning on getting a second Airport Express as I like to have strong wireless throughout the house and this would have me covered on each level.

Now with the new products I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting the new Airport Extreme. I don't know if I would need the added features of the simultaneous broadcasting and guest network but they do sound nice to have just in case I want them.

Basically I have it set up now with my Time Capsule broadcasting in B/G/N mode and my Airport Express in N only but 2.4 Ghz. If I did get the new AEBS I would probably have it as N only 5 Ghz and extend the B/G/N network. My MBA on the main level usually connects to the Time Capsule network as it gets better reception but not perfect.

Do you guys think this makes sense or is it overkill and I should just get an AEX for the main level and use it in N only mode 2.4 Ghz? I guess the main question is how much of an improvement would I see with the computer in the office on N 5.0 Ghz vs. N 2.4 Ghz.

Also I want to make sure that the new AEBS would be able to use the new functionality even if it is getting the internet from an older Time Capsule.

Thanks.

2. srexy macrumors 6502a

Similar boat here - question unanswered also...

I have an AEBS serving my MBP, iMac, :apple:tv and a Verizon Fios Actiontech Wireless G router serving my media pc & iPhones running throughout the house. The G reaches everywhere - the AEBS not. The mediaPC is on the G network and miraculously is able to stream effectively to all of the N devices pretty well.

I was thinking to purchase either the new AEBS and just use the Verizon router for guest access or as a simple modem to my AEBS or alternatively an Airport Express and have that connected via ethernet to my MediaPC and extending my wireless N network. I'm pretty sure that the AEBS will do the job but am not at all sure if the Airport Express will act as both a wireless N extender and a port to my MediaPC...

Any input would be welcome.

To the OP - I'm pretty sure that the new AEBS won't care whether it's extending an older TC or not.