Airport express or other solution for classroom music

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Italianblend, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I am a music teacher and I'm investigating whether I can do this...

First, I do not have access to my school's wireless password, but my room does receive the wireless signal. And I have a PC (wired) in my classroom.

I am planning on getting an ipod for the music that I use in my classroom, and will transmit it wirelessly to speakers.

If I purchase an ipod and an airport express, will I be able to achieve this? Or, would I need something more like this: http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-W2#overview

Also - will I be able to use itunes "shared" feature so that I won't have to physically have the entire music library on the ipod? If this is the case, I might in fact get an ipad 2...

I don't have much experience with apple setups so please give me suggestions on how to achieve this. I'm just looking for a wireless way to play the music I have - and want a quick way to search through the music, which is why I want an ipod touch, so I can type in a few letters and get the songs I want quickly.

Thanks

2. marzer, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Yes, with an iPod Touch (or iPhone or iPad), iTunes Cloud and Airport Express you can do just that using Airplay. Stream from the cloud via your iPod Touch (or iPhone/iPad) to the Airport Express.

Caveat: You will need your local WiFi password loaded in the AE if your going to connect wirelessly from an iOS device. If your local network does not use port lockdown, you may be able to see it by plugging it into a ethernet jack, if you have an spare (and active) port available.

But unless you get mobile service for an iPhone or iPad, you would need the local WiFi password anyway to connect your device to the network to access music from the cloud.

The broadcast device you mention will do the trick (from any iPod device, not just the Touch/iPhone/iPad) if you have a stero to plug the receiver into.

I would suggest you consider: 1) How much you want to spend on the setup? 2) How important is iCloud access? 3) Are you willing to pay for mobile access if you can't connect to the local network? 4) What's the size of your entire music library?

For a quality but cost effective "wireless" solution would be to buy an iPod that has enough room to hold your entire (or enough) library and something like the broadcast device you found. No network access would be needed.

3. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Thank You...

because my it person is going to ask - is there a way for this connection to be set up by an administrator so that the password is kept secret? Or, will I need to use the password every time I access the system?

4. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Yes, the network access features of the AE can be controlled simply by having it connect to the network as a client and disabling any features that would permit it to share its connection (WiFi or ethernet port).

If you mean controlling access to the AE as remote speakers, then yes again. It permits the AirSpeaker feature to be password protected. You would enter that via iTunes when you first attempt to access it.

5. Italianblend, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Oh Dear...

I asked my IT about this and I got this response:

I don't think she understands...She is saying the PC we have don't have wireless network adapters. But we don't need one in this case as long as we have access to the wireless network, right?

Apple's site says you plug the airport express into your cable modem or router...is this the only setup?

Let me be specific. We have a wireless signal throughout the school. Our classroom PCs are wired with an ethernet cable. There is no modem in my room.

How can I explain this to her?

6. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

DOH! I completed brain farted on this one!! You don't need the school's network if you can forego having iCloud access.

- Configure the Airport Express to create its own network. You can do this at home using your own machine and the Airport Utility. Secure it with a key, of course, so no one else can access it.
    - Configure the iPod Touch to connect to the AE's network.
    - Load the Touch with your music selection.
    - Take the AE into school, plug it in by the stereo, connect it to one of the amp's inputs.
    - Stream music wirelessly from the Touch from anywhere in the room.
    - ????
    - Profit!

If you want iCloud access you can, in time, bring the IT folks on board to letting the AE connect to the school network OR get and iPhone or iPad w/mobile access.

7. androiphone macrumors 65816

this is the best most simple option for your (the OP) needs by far, assuming that you are able to fit all the music on the ipod, I personally would not even consider any internet Cloud solution.

8. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Thanks, but can't you just set up the wireless with an iPad or iPod?

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you're using the current model Airport Express with "N" wireless. I've got 2 of the older "G" wireless versions and the new Airport setup app for my iPhone and iPad can't configure them.

Additionally, if you need to access the internet from your iPod touch you'll have to switch back to the school network.