Airport Express + Original Time Capsule. Create dual band network Would it work?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alex.m90, Jun 28, 2009.

1. alex.m90 macrumors member

In my house I have a Playstation, Xbox (360), Macbook, iMac, iPhone and a crappy old Dell laptop.

To provide wireless signals to these I have an original single band (if thats what you call it) Time Capsule router. Unfortunately I can't use the benefits of 'n' technology due too half of the wireless devices in my house not supporting it. As-well as this the games consoles are on the other side of the house and don't get a good wireless signal.

In my house I am lucky to have ethernet ports in some of the rooms in my house, these all connect up to the Time Capsule. My plan was to go out and buy an Airport Express, and set that up plug it into an ethernet port (that way it would get its internet connection from the time capsule) then have that providing a 'g' signal to the consoles, iPhone and crappy old Dell laptop. Then I could set the Time Capsule to provide an 'n' signal only to the Macs, greatly improving my backup times from time machine. Also I would get better connection on my Playstation, and have AirTunes :D

So basically I was just wondering whether this would work? and if there would be any conflicts between the two devices. Would bonjour work across the board, e.g. if my iPhone is connected to the Airport Express, and MacBook to Time Capsule, would I still be able to use Remote App, and would Macbook (being connected to Time Capsule) still be able to use Air Tunes? Thanks for reading. :apple:

Alex

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

yes, just put the express in "off (bridge mode)" on connection sharing on the internet page.