Airport Express (Please help!)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mac iLy, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Mac iLy macrumors newbie

Hey so I'm going on a trip, and I'm trying to find something that will let me get internet connection from let's say a hotel room. I heard the Airport Express can do this if I get a ethernet cable and connect it to the jack for the cable in the wall, but other people are telling me that the Airport Express isn't a router at all! Please tell me if it will work!

2. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

Yeah its definitely a router. It will work well.

3. mac&cheesey macrumors 6502

Yes it works

It definitely works. I'm writing this on my iPad right now while sitting in my hotel room connected to the wireless network from my AirPort Express.

m&c

4. kamuix macrumors regular

From my knowledge, the airport express isn't a router but just a device to provide wider range for your wi-fi. The ethernet port just allows the airport express to broadcast a wi-fi signal from a wired connection. The express is basically generating a hot spot. The airport can also expand a local wi-fi connection by connecting to that wi-fi and extending the signal. So if you were to plug it into the wall of the hotel room, you would have to set up your airport with the settings for that connection and you will have wi-fi.

Basically you're saving yourself from having to have to buy a router. Any wireless device can connect to the airport without the use of excess cables. Hope this helps.

5. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

False. The Airport Express is definitely a router.

6. SadBurntToast macrumors newbie

SadBurntToast

Yep

Double confirmation... it will work just fine in just the way you described. You'll have to have Airport Utility set up on your computer, which comes in the box.

7. kamuix macrumors regular

While I somewhat agree, the airport express is more of a solution to generate wi-fi so that you can have multiple devices connect to the internet, or network wireless products, ie. printers, apple tv, etc... But the good thing is that the airport doesn't have to directly plug into the internet gateway box.

From apple:
    Introducing the new AirPort Express Base Station, now with 802.11n wireless. Easily create a wireless network at home. Enjoy your iTunes music library in virtually any room of your house. Share a USB printer without obtrusive cables. And do it all with the latest wireless technology.

And as in the op for portability:

Take it with you

Lightweight and compact, AirPort Express is built for mobility, so you can create an instant wireless network at your hotel, job site, or wherever you need one.

I can't remember if the airport utility had a method of entering the isp information in order to connect to the internet and become a router via the gateway. Usually a regular router you do buy, requires you to configure the type of connection with login information to access your internet. It generates multiple ip addresses to allow for other computers to connect. So in a sense, the airport is like a router allowing multiple devices to connect with an ip wirelessly.

If you mean the term "router" in the broader sense as it does generate multiple ip's for your devices like a router, then I agree. Sorry for the reply.

8. abriwin macrumors member

OK so I have my Airport Express, I have an ethernet cable, I have my iPad.
    I arrive at my hotel 10K kms from home, plug in the APE to the hotel network socket. Will my iPad automatically see the APE or will the APE need to be set up before leaving home?

9. alfmil macrumors regular

I use my Airport Express with my iPad 2 all the time. Until iOS 5 comes out, you must have previously set up your Airport Express using the Airport Utility on your Mac/PC.

Using Airport Utility, I find it easier to click on manual setup rather than go through the steps. On the airport button at the top you will have to give the airport a name and admin password or you'll get warnings. I am not sure why this has to be done, but anyway... Then click on the wireless tab --- wireless mode = create a wireless network. Put in your ssid and if you want a password and what not. (Since you will be using it in bridge mode, I didn't bother with a password because it will only connect to one device anyway - me).

Then click the internet button at the top ... connect using ethernet... connection sharing OFF (use bridge mode). This will give you the most compatibility with hotel/school networks, but you can only connect one device at a time. Until iOS 5 comes out and you can adjust the Airport Express settings directly from your iPad/iPhone, if you set it to share an IP and the hotel/whatever network security won't let you do that, you will have to find someone with a Mac/PC to change your setting to bridge mode to get it working for you again. (I know this from experience just last week).

When you get to the other location, plug in the ethernet cable, plug the Airport Express into the wall, wait for the green light then your iPad will connect automatically to the Airport Express (unless it is the first time, in which you'll have to select your ssid). If you need to use a proxy, you can enter that on the iPad under the connection settings for that ssid. If you need to pay or confirm something to get service started just open safari and the pay/password page should show up automatically.

Enjoy!

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

is it confirmed that iOS5 has the capability to set up an Airport express? That would be awesome.

11. Mac iLy thread starter macrumors newbie

12. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Quick distinction in regards to "router".

The Airport Express only has one ethernet port. It's a dual use WAN/LAN port.

So keep in mind, the AExp is only a wireless router when using the ethernet port directly with the internet gateway.

It can be a wired router if you are wirelessly extending a network and have a switch connected to the ethernet port.

13. alfmil macrumors regular

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede