Airport Express poor behavior.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by munkees, Jun 28, 2009.

1. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

I purchased an Airport Express friday to extend one of my wireless networks, I have 2 issues.

1) random resetting back to factory defaults, also if you unplug and re-plug it back in it resets to factory defaults and has to be reconfigured.

2) cannot update from 7.4.1 to 7.4.2, every time I install it resets to factory defaults.

2. munkees thread starter macrumors 65816

munkees

fixed my own problem, call apple, they are overnighting a replacement, seeing the device would not hard reset into factory defaults.

3. munkees thread starter macrumors 65816

munkees

got my new replacement, fixed the problem, firmware updated, very happy.

4. RDM3 macrumors regular

I hope you can help me out here, I have a wireless network at home, I have a Belkin N router, can I use the Airport Express to extend my current network? Is there anything special to extend it? Do I just plug it in the electrical socket where I want coverage and my Macbook will pick it up?

Also, have you ever used it in a hotel, I go to Disney World every year, sometimes twice a year, and the Disney Resort we stay in has wired Internet, I would like to use Airport Express in the room so I can take the laptop out to the small living room.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

extending networks not created by apple gear is not very likely. I think i've seen some reports of success, but it was very finicky, and not very easy at all to set up.

if you can get an ethernet cable to where you want to put the express, then you can add a second base to you network pretty easily, your computers and other devices will switch between the two to the stronger signal automatically.

as far as hotel rooms, yes, i do that all the time.

6. RDM3 macrumors regular

Right now I use Comcast, so the cable goes from the wall to the modem, then the rj45 or whatever it is, goes from the modem to the router, can you split the rj45 at the modem somehow with a splitter? Kind of like the phone splitters you can get to create 2 lines from out outlet so you can have 2 phones?

7. munkees thread starter macrumors 65816

munkees

use a network hub/switch, but it will not fix your problem, seeing you need to share a single ip address. does the belkin router have extra lan ports you can connect the express to the lan, then set the airport for a new network.

What I did with my airport is I run an ethernet cable from one of my macs, in system preferences - sharing - I allow internet sharing on the ethernet. Ethernet to the express. Then I have configured the Airport express as a separate wireless network. I configured the IP address of the ethernet manually, then DHCP is used wireless from the express to the wireless clients.

8. RDM3 macrumors regular

What are the differences, if any, between the first AirPort Express vs the new ones, are they all 802.11 A/B/G, are some N?

Here are a few I am looking at on ebay, as of now I am just going to get one to take on vacation so I can be wireless.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140329274975

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=160344842576

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=400058080199

I kind of answered my own question as I found an N express, listed below, but as for the ones aboce what is the best way to tell if it is N or not, model #?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AirPort-Exp...66:2|39:1|72:1199|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

Ok, sorry I think I found the model number for the N, MB321LL/A