Airport Express Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by joemarioz, Jul 22, 2012.

1. joemarioz macrumors member

joemarioz

I've just installed my connection in my new apartment, and the internet company gave me an 802.11g router, and my connection is over 60MB, so basically it just gives me about 30MB, so I decided to buy an airport express, but up until now I haven't been able to connect it, I have all of the info available, including DNS servers, IP addresses etc... but it can't connect automatically so I tried on static, instead of DHCP, and when I do that it tells me DHCP needs to be turned of (bridge-mode) but even with that I'm not able to connect... It's a first gen. 802.11n model. (I bought it on sale)

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

plug the express to your existing router via ethernet.

set the express' connection sharing to "off (bridge mode)"
    put it in 5Ghz mode, and give it a different name.

you've now got the equivalent of a simultaneous dual band router.

3. joemarioz thread starter macrumors member

joemarioz

I've managed to pull it off, but I still only get about 30Mb of download. And I'm paying for 60...

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

what do you get when hardwired?

do you have another computer on your network? if you grab a file off of that, it will test your true network speed.

how far away are you from the base, and how much stuff is between you and it?

and in the wonders of high speed internet marketing, if you look at your speeds, you'll probably see a small "up to" in front of it, so you're not paying for 60 Mb/s you're paying for "up to 60 Mb/s"

5. joemarioz thread starter macrumors member

joemarioz

Just my computer, my iPad, and an iPhone. It's a pretty small apartment. and I'm pretty sure they are selling 60mb, not up to, because I previously had 24 from the same company and the speed test said 24mb. And if I wired it the airport express to the same router that is giving me just 30mb, does that mean the airport will just received the amount the default router is re-routing through the ethernet wire?