Airport Express problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rhosfelt, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Okay so everything I have read with problems about PPPoE has described some of the symptoms of my problems so I promise this is different and I'd like wireless soon so if you guys could please help i'd be very grateful!

This is the deal; I am at college (IUP) to be exact, and if that helps. And since I am here, they use PPPoE (We have a user name and password) and I have been having a ton of problems with the internet here.. First off the wireless..

When trying to connect to their (so-called) wireless I get really shallow connetion. In other words I get like one bar and i drop it constantly..Which is making me mad, because i can't even be in my bed and browse the internet..So I have been tyring to make my own wireless. This however has not been working. So basic knowledge tells me plug in an ethernet to the wall connection and then to my Airport express.. No good. It says I have a connection, but always fails to look up the PPPoE server. I know I have my log in an password correct, and I did enable PPPoE in the network section of System Preferences. So I dont know what is up. Maybe I need to use a Cat6 cable? b/c right now I am using a 5.

Wired connection can be just as weird. Though more stable, as soon as I plug in my ethernet I get the responce to saying that I am connected, but I cannot actually connect to say AIM or even load a page until about 2 mintues after i plug in..

However the iMac is constantly pluged in so I am pretty good on the wired connection and that is fine, even in bootcamp the connection is good. I would just like some help on the wireless and if you guys know anything I would greatly appreciate it..

If you have any questions I will gladly answer, any btw I am pretty sure IT doesn't understand Macs so that is why I haven't been there yet.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

According to this page, wireless devices are not permitted in the dorms, so we can't allow you to receive assistance in circumventing university policies.

As for the wired connection, did you follow these instructions for setting things up?

3. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

Share the connection from the imac wirelessly, you can do that from the sharing pane of system prefs.

Just an Idea, not totally sure it will work, but I cannot think of a reason why it would not work...

Cooper

4. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

That is ludicrous. Are you sure that is the Mac Rumors policy?

I was under the impression that Mac Rumors, like most places, only forbids talk of circumvention when it violates the law.

By assisting WildCowboy we would be breaking no law. If WildCowboy attaches a WAP to his ResNet connection he would violate his agreement with the Indiana University of Pennsylvania and it would be dealt with internally by the school's judicial process. The school's use policy has no standing with anyone on this board except with students who have agreed to it.

5. Rhosfelt thread starter macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

So I am going to get in trouble for boosting wireless in my dorm, which is supposed to be wireless in the first place?

Yet I get no connection, and am constantly getting kicked off due to poor quality..I don't think that makes sense.