Airport Express Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mike21190, Jul 3, 2008.

1. mike21190 macrumors member

I just purchased an Airport express for my beach house to get a wireless connection. I dont have internet in the house, but I have family who lives in the complex and I can just barely pick up their signal. Im trying to use the Airport Express to expand their network into mine. The whole building is cement, so its difficult to keep the signal and I barely have cell phone service inside.
    Also my MBP only picks up the Airport Express at random times. I cant update the settings on it because once it restarts the computer can't pick it up again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. kalex macrumors 65816

I would say that you need to get another express and keep it in the middle

3. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

i'm going through a much similar problem. from the sounds of it your family doesn't have an airport extreme. let me know what router you have that will help a little. it isn't too hard to connect a 3rd party router but does require some work.

to be able to see your router again hold the restart button while it's plugged in. it will start flashing keep the button pressed down for another 15 seconds then release. the light will go orange and then when it is ready it will start to flash. make sure you've quit airport util and then open it again, and you should see the airport

next configure it manually click on the tab base station and change the password to whatever you want. then click on 'wireless'. in the top drop down menu click 'participate in wds' (ae will only connect if your router supports wds). next change the network name to the EXACT same as the network you want to join.

now it gets a bit technical. you must go into your router config page. if your running a linksys router try this 'http://192.168.1.1' if that doesn't work call the company that make your router and ask them how to get into this page.

before i continue let me know what router your using so i don't waste my time.

4. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

LOLZ!

I read this and thought you were trying to steal some randoms wifi! :D:D

5. accrane macrumors member

from my understanding he doesnt have a router. He is trying to use his express to expand the connection from someone elses home.

6. mike21190 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the late response. Im back home now and my cousins have a Linksys WRT54G router. Im also starting to doubt this is possible because the condo is concrete and there are a lot of spots in the house where I can't pick up there signal. Also you only get cell phone reception by the windows. Im thinking I'll just have to get high speed internet and set up a wireless network for the house.

7. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

first of all this is possible. http://rgbdream.com/?p=44. that is where i learned to do it. all you need for this to work is one place in your house with a steady connection. or if there is some way you could place the ae outside and enclose it in a box. you will have to change the password so if these are some random people you are going to have a bit of trouble.

follow that guide i posted and private message me if you have any problems

8. mike21190 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Ill try it when I go back down next week.