Airport Express problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RPT2003, Sep 7, 2008.

1. RPT2003 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to Mac and am having problems with my new Airport Express.
    It's never been connected. I've installed the software (from disc) and followed all the steps, even reset the airport express but it still refuses to connect to my MacBook (which has Airport). Am I doing anything wrong? Airport utility just says that no apple wireless devices are discoverable.... and to 'rescan'.

The AX is plugged in and attached via USB to my printer so I can print that way. I have a separate BT HomeHub - this is how I get on the internet. Am I supposed to use my Airport Express to get to my BT HomeHub? I'm all confused and have trawled the internet and read various threads but cannot find any answers.
    Many thanks,
    RPT.

2. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

To configure your AX using AirPort Utility, your Mac needs to join the AX's wireless network.

To have seamless printing and wireless networking, you should connect your AX to your BT HomeHub using Ethernet. Then set your AX to bridge the connection between them. (Assuming that the BT HomeHub can act as a router and assign IP address to devices connected to it.)

3. RPT2003 thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks for this.

It makes perfect sense!
    The problem I have is that my printer (which, as you say, needs to be connected to my Airport Express) and HomeHub are in two different locations within the house.... Obviously these need to be together?
    There's no phone line where my printer is and I didn't want to put my printer in the lounge where my phone is!

Any other set up suggestions would be gratefully received.
    Thanks again for the reply it's been really helpful.

4. macair747 macrumors newbie

mckyvll your are a life saver, ive been on the computer for the last 5 hours with no use, nut your advise hit the spot,

thanks mate