Airport Express problems

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DJJustice, Mar 17, 2009.

1. DJJustice macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I'm currently stymied as to why my Macbook can't detect either of my two AirPorts. A little background info: the AirPorts are roughly two years old, and both worked fine with my old PC (which is now scrapped after I made the switch to Apple). I spent about an hour making sure all the software is up to date, then I plugged them both in to my stereo (one at a time, of course). Both of them have the yellow/blinking yellow light on, but neither of them can be detected by the AirPort utility -

"AirPort Utility was unable to find any Apple wireless devices. Make sure the Apple wireless device you want to set up is plugged in and in range of your computer, and click rescan to try again."

I've rescanned a dozen times, and the AirPort is about 15 feet away from me - should be in range, right? Nothing is working so far. I'm about to head in to the local Apple store on my way to work and see if they are broken (I hope not) or whatever.

I'm not sure if AirPorts can just stop functioning but still have the blinking yellow light, because I really don't want to spend another $100 when I had two perfectly functional ones just last week. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks ahead of time.

2. iOrlando macrumors 68000

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

To see an AirPort router in AirPort Utility, you need to be connected to it via Ethernet or be on the wireless network its broadcasting. Reset both base stations (hold in reset until it blinks amber rapidly). Check under the AirPort menu for the default names of 'Apple Network' followed by the AirPort ID of the base station. Reconfigure/re-set up.