Airport Express + PS3 = Airplay?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nishi100, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I really like Airplay; however, I don't need the Apple TV. So could I connect the PS3 to the Airport Express and then stream music / movies to my PS3; which, will, in turn, display on the TV?

2. LiquidThunderLT macrumors member

By what method would the airport express talk to and provide the PS3 with that output? The PS3 has no capacity to simply receive sound and video information and display it on-screen. No I don't think this would be possible.

Connecting speakers directly to the airport express, or connecting your airport express to your home theater receiver if you have one via a stereo mini to RCA (1/8" headphone to red and white composite) cable would be a good solution for audio only airplay streaming, however.

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yeah the airport express only has a 3.5 audio jack, so it is only capable of doing audio.

Why dont you just use PS3 media server to stream stuff to the ps3?

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

That wouldn't work - the Airport Express has no capacity to output video and therefore works audio-only with AirPlay.
    You can hook up speakers / a sound system (analog or digital) to an Airport Express and stream audio through it but that's all

5. Nishi100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, I am correct in saying, that the AppleTV is the only way to stream movies to your TV, using Airplay/ the iPad?!

6. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Sounds that way. I use PlayOn "on" the PC to stream to TV. Works like a charm. Smooth, better than windows media player for sure.

7. cas85 macrumors regular

+1 for playon. works great with the ps3.

8. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

Do you think Apple would ever make a newer AirPort Express that was capable of receiving and outputting video?

9. Nishi100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not as convenient as the iPad's Airplay; however, it looks like a cool app, I'll try it in the morning.

10. sanford macrumors 65816

Sony could, probably easily and cheaply, license and support Airplay on PS3, which would include music, movies and photos -- even iTunes Fairplay DRM-protected versions of (older iTunes) music and all commercial video because Airplay decodes the DRM on the server side (Mac, PC, iPod touch, iPhone or iPad) running some variant of iTunes, sending a stream 3rd party devices can handle, unlike AirTunes and original Apple TV which were proprietary Apple technology and didn't work with 3rd party client devices. People say Sony won't because it would skim movie rentals and sales from the PS3 Store. But PS3 already supports Netflix streaming, Hulu+ and Vudu, all of which skim from Sony's media revenue. It's more important for Sony to put stuff in PS3 that makes it look more fully featured than Xbox 360. Airplay on PS3 may never happen, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.