Airport Express question... please assist

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Adokimus, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Hi all,

I had a pretty quick question about the airport express: Does the ethernet port on the bottom work as ethernet out as well as ethernet in? I already have a wireless router and I'm considering buying the Airport express to extend its wireless range, but I also wanted to use it to connect the desktop pc in my room via ethernet (no wireless built in).

So, would that work or is the ethernet only an ethernet-in?

(I want cable modem --> wireless router #1 --> Airport Express range extension --> ethernet cable --> ethernet desktop PC)

Thanks!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes this will work just fine, i'm not sure what routers it plays best with in terms of extending networks but i know it is certainly possible.

but just out of curiousity, wouldn't it be easier/more cost effective to just buy a wireless card for the PC?

3. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Well, I have a powerbook g4 and I have HORRIBLE reception in my room, so I need to extend my wireless range regardless. Are you absolutely sure that the ethernet port will work as ethernet out? Has anyone tried it? I don't want to waste $100 since I'm currently jobless.

Thanks again!

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

gotcha. so yes i am 100% positive that it will work as ethernet out.
    again i don't know what routers it plays nice with in terms of extending the range though. i have two Expresses and have used it as ethernet out before so no worries there.

5. Adokimus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

6. rjp macrumors regular

Ethernet output from airport express. How to do it?

I am trying to do the same. I want to use an airport express to join my existing wireless network and provide wired ethernet service output from its ethernet connection to a DVD player that has no wireless ability only wired RJ45

I have not been able to get it to work so far. It has joined my wireless network (netgear router) as I can see its mac address in the DHCP table of connected devices, but when I plug in the ethernet cable I get nothing.

THanks for any help.

7. f1 macrumors 6502

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but the ethernet port on the airport express only works as an ethernet in, for Cable/DSL modems.

8. schweig macrumors newbie

Ethernet Port

If the AEx is in the "client mode" the Ethernet jack will be active and provide a wired input. If the AEx is in "WDS mode" (or extend my network), the jack is NOT active. In "router mode" it is used as a WAN input. I'm pretty sure that I'm correct on this.

9. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I'm doing a similar thing. It will definitely work if it's a newer, n-capable express. In airport utility, set wireless mode to "Join a Wireless Network" and then check the box under it which says "Allow Ethernet Clients".

If you have the older b/g version, the "Allow Ethernet Clients" checkbox won't be present.

I have both n and g versions, btw. I could never get the g one to work, whereas the n one worked first time.

10. rjp macrumors regular

That would do it. I have an older model (before n) and there is no "Allow ENET Clients" checkbox. Bummer.

Any workarounds?

11. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Don't know if this helps re the possibility.

I have - Cable modem connected to an Airport Express (b/g) by ethernet cable, in another room is a second Express (b/g) connected by ethernet cable to a Bondi iMac, no problems connecting to the Internet.

The ethernet cables are Patch.

Cheers,
    OW

12. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Actually, there is a way to do it provided your base station is an airport extreme or express: Use WDS (wireless distribution system).

The only downside is that it cuts your throughput dramatically and can be tricky to set up (or so I've heard). Anyone here done it?

13. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Ethernet out definitely does work. I have used it on 2 macs and an XBOX 360.

14. celestineprime macrumors newbie

This looks like a bug for Apple to fix.

The functionality's there in the Airport Express g - it will allow clients on its ethernet port when enabled and a lot of people do just that, but a bit of user interface has gone missing from Airport Utility that was in various previous airport management tools.

Airport Expresses that people are currently using in this way will break as soon as they are updated with e.g. Airport Utility 5.3.2 or 5.4.1

If you're caught by this, please report it to Apple.

Mark

15. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I've done this and the ethernet out is working fine - however, I seem to have lost wifi. Does that sound right?

Is it either the airport connects to my current network and extends it via ethernet or wifi OR can it do both at the same time?

16. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...that would seem to be worth the cost, otherwise it would be a pretty expensive proposition compared to running cat5 cable thru a crawl space (if you had that option)...

17. n459umb4786ers macrumors regular

You could call an Apple Store and ask. In fact, I called an Apple Store in Willowbrook Mall early today and they were very friendly and fast.