Airport express question - please help

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Harmush, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

hi guys. we have a very crap d-link 615 router which has horrible trouble having more than one machine on wi-fi. doesn't assign IP and all the problems you would expect.

my father, is refusing to buy anything better his view on things is "it was free, it will do"
    which i don't agree with, just because its free.... it still doesn't bloody work, probably why it was free in the first place.

if i plug in an ethernet cable to the back of the d-link and then to an airport express (for my personal use only) will that work?
    would i be able to access the internet via the airport express plugged into the horrid d-link...

it would solve my problem while he messes round with something that will never work.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yep, that will work. It takes that LAN signal and transfers it via WiFi, the WiFi you created via AirPort Utility.

You can also take a look at the Setup Guide to learn more.

3. Harmush thread starter macrumors 6502a

Harmush

thank very much, i thought it would work but wanted to double check.

wasn't sure if airport express needed to be directly into the modem to work properly.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

you just gotta watch out that your dad doesn't mess up the settings you need while he tinkers....

5. SidBala macrumors 6502a

You should get a proper router. Since it is most likely that the router is having trouble with not just the wifi but also general routing. In that case, Connecting the AE to the LAN on the DIR-615 won't do you any good.

The DIR-615 is very low-end. You cannot expect anything from it. How about investing ~ $80 on a good Netgear WNR3500L or ASUS RT-N16 ? Both are fantastic routers and cheaper than the AE.