Airport Express Question (Wireless N)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by OptyCT, Jan 4, 2010.

1. OptyCT macrumors 6502

I use a newer Airport Express (A/B/G & N) as my router. Over the last few months, I have replaced some older Wireless G hardware. My family now has two newer MacBook Pros, which both have Wireless N. I want to maximize my wireless connectivity.

Does the Airport Express always run "N" until a device that is "G" or lower joins the network? For example, I'm on my MBP and nothing else is on the network. Am I getting "N" speeds? Now say, a family member fires up their first-gen iPod Touch (Wireless G). It is my understanding that, at this point, the Airport Express will switch over to "G". Is this how it works?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

The AirPort Express will slow down, but not necessarily to g speeds. The slowdown occurs when a slower device is actively using the network. So if a g device is connected and not accessing the network, your speeds should not decrease. But even when that said device does begin to access the Internet or otherwise actively using the wireless connection, the speeds of your network should never dip to 54 Mbps, but would hover somewhere between 170 Mbps and 54 Mbps.

3. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

If you have the dual band AE then this will be useful

EDIT: Forget that, the Airport Express' aren't dual band. You are stuck I'm afraid, unless you want to get an AEBS (get a refurb)