Airport express question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bryantlc, Mar 5, 2011.

1. bryantlc macrumors member

How can I confirm my ebay purchased Airport Express is properly extending the range of my network. I set it up to extend range of current network. It appears Green in Airport utility. When I use istumbler walking around house the network signal does not get stronger near Airport Express. Shouldn't the signal go up near the Express if it is extending the range?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Unplug the express and then walk around the house. Compare the results.

3. bryantlc thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

No change in strength. I think I bought a lemon.

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

What about outside? Can you walk from the point where the Express is located and see how far you can go before you lose the signal--then do it again with the Express off?

5. bryantlc thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

If hardwired to my extreme I can create separate network coming out of express. Just can't seem to extend range of existing. I have watched every YouTube help there is. I also tried WDS mode. I should just sell this and go buy second extreme. Would that be easier?

6. bryantlc thread starter macrumors member

If hardwired to my extreme I can create separate network coming out of express. Just can't seem to extend range of existing. I have watched every YouTube help there is. I also tried WDS mode. I should just sell this and go buy second extreme. Would that be easier?