Airport Express question...

coleg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2004
Does the little Airport Express brick(http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/) work just like a base station?

I want to setup wireless internet in my dorm room and don't know to get a base station or an airport express. What's the range?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
well the express has some limits than the regular base station

it can only have ten users, regular is 50
and it doesnt have the extra lan port

if you dont need either of those the express should be fine for you, but you might want to check to make sure its allowed in your dorm, not all colleges will let you set up a wireless access point

coleg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2004
it'll be okay to setup in my room. i have no need for 50 users. just myself and my roommate.

but it works pretty much the same? i won't need the extra lan port.

what is the range?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
coleg said:
it'll be okay to setup in my room. i have no need for 50 users. just myself and my roommate.

but it works pretty much the same? i won't need the extra lan port.

what is the range?
the range is the same as the regular airport extreme basestation, which is up to 150 ft. i believe, and its configured the same, but also has airtunes built in

when you do set it up make sure to password protect it and you might want to make it a closed network just for security's sake

coleg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2004
yeah, i planned on passwording it.

do i password it by hooking it to my computer.

i don't want it hooked up to a computer at all. is that possible?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
coleg said:
yeah, i planned on passwording it.

do i password it by hooking it to my computer.

i don't want it hooked up to a computer at all. is that possible?
when you first get it, run the airport setup assistant, select basestation and that is how you configure it, you can also configure it through the airport admin unitity as well if you need to change anything, no need to directly hook it up to your computer at all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.