Airport Express question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kevsource, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Kevsource macrumors newbie

Hi all:

I stream iTunes from my MacMini (in another room) to AppleTV2, but my receiver doesn't have an optical input, so I can only hear audio through the HDTV.

I have an opportuity to pick up an Airport Express for cheap; my thought was I could use it and run an 1/8"-RCA cord to my receiver so I could hear iTunes audio through my stereo.

Yeah, that probably means iTunes will be streaming to TWO different devices, but would it work?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

...K.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

yes it will work, or you can get something like this to convert the optical out on the appleTV to analog.

you can also get the rca cable and the optical cable to get it all connected from the same store.

and it will set you back a bit under $30 plus tax and shipping.

3. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Monoprice is a great company. Either this option or the Airport Express will work fine.

I think I'd go the Monoprice route just to have one less device to manage.

4. Kevsource thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies! I did get the AE and after a rocky start, I got my Mac to see it and streamed music to it and through the stereo with ease.

However, when I fired up the AppleTV with the hopes of hearing whatever I called up there through the stereo, it didn't work. I guess perhaps Apple TV makes it's own call to iTunes?

It's not a deal-breaker because I can always go the route you suggested, which then frees up the AE to do something else.

Cheers,

Kev