Airport Express Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TWO2SEVEN, Nov 6, 2013.

1. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I did some searching and still have some questions.

I have a medium sized apartment (1100 sq ft). I have a UVerse router in the living room but the signal is very weak in the bedroom. If I understand correctly I can either plug the AE in to my router and use it as my wireless modem or I can plug it in back in the bedroom and it will boost the signal and also allow me to use my printer with AirPrint (if I plug it in to the AE).

Am I correct on this?

Thanks!

2. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

IIRC you can only extend the network wirelessly if the main router/wireless access point is an AEBS.

At least that's the problem I ran into.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Well, you can always connect several wireless access points via Ethernet cable and let each one create and cover a partial area of your residence.
    Provided that SSID and WPA are set up identically (including password!) on every one of them, the wireless roaming will work.

4. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Yes of course, hence why I said "wirelessly"

5. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I got it working after some trial and error. It did not work when I ran a cable between the router and the AE.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

How did you set it up? Did you try the Setup Wizard? Usually it detects being behind a NAT router and sets the AirPort correctly into bridge mode. You can always do it manually as well.

7. TWO2SEVEN thread starter macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I used the AE Utility on my Mac. I set it up wirelessly to extend my current wifi network.

8. priitv8 macrumors 68020

OK, I still wonder why didn't it work on wired connection. How did the problem express itself?