Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Hi, how could I find out if airport express would work with my stereo? Does it work with any stereo?

TIA

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i believe airport express works with a 3.5mm headphone jack and an ethernet cable. the unit itself is a plug. however, i'm unsure as how you would get your 3.5mm cable to plug into a stereo set as most stereo sets i've seen have the red and white audio jacks and not a 3.5mm jack.

apple has something on the airport express website about the monster cable set but that'd set you back another $39.

perhaps someone else can enlighten us. sorry if this isn't much help - maybe a call to apple will straighten this out. i've only one friend who has an airport express and he only uses it to extend his network range, not play music.

dhc

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
UK
pianoman said:
i believe airport express works with a 3.5mm headphone jack and an ethernet cable. the unit itself is a plug. however, i'm unsure as how you would get your 3.5mm cable to plug into a stereo set as most stereo sets i've seen have the red and white audio jacks and not a 3.5mm jack.

apple has something on the airport express website about the monster cable set but that'd set you back another $39.

perhaps someone else can enlighten us. sorry if this isn't much help - maybe a call to apple will straighten this out. i've only one friend who has an airport express and he only uses it to extend his network range, not play music.

You're absolutely right with your description of the available connections, and suggested cable. You can pick up good quality, and cheaper cables than the Monster branded one, In the UK I get a half decent one for about £15 http://www.richersounds.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=CAMB-I-LINK-2.5M.

I think the Airport Express is a really nice bit of kit, and mine works well. There does appear to be a worrying trend of the unit packing up after 12 months or so though... (see the reviews at the UK online Apple store)

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
If your stereo has an analog audio input, it will work with the appropriate cable. And you don't need and ethernet cable (where did that some from?), since it's WiFi. The ethernet cable only comes into play if you are using it as a router, WDS node or wireless access point to a wired network, none of which have anything to do with hook it to your stereo to deliver iTunes.

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
O.K. Thanks for the info! One more question though... Right now I use a Netgear Rangemax router with an imac g5 connected through airport. The connection is very nice with this router. Will the speed be the same for the airport express? I can't see why it wouldn't but just wondering.

sturigdson

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2006
manosaurus, I don't know much about your router, but I have to say that i can't see any reason at all that you'd lose any speed or function with the AE.

However, I do maybe have some thoughts on the stereo- if you have RCA stereo-inputs, you're set. I use the AE for remote music, and it's pretty fantastic. There's no need to get monster cables- you shouldn't spend more than a few dollars on the cable. Go to radioshack and find the cheapest, most generic RCA-to-3.5mm minijack cable or adapter you can. Here's an example, but i think it's on the high-end of what I'd spend. I think I bought two adapter cables for under $10 US recently, in the store.

The reason you can go cheap: unless you've ripped your music at very high rates, the sound quality is not going to be pristine. iTunes uses compressed music. You're not going to lose ANYTHING substantial if you use cheap cables for this purpose.

Enjoy the AE- I love mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.