AirPort Express Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by FadeToBlack, Nov 16, 2007.

1. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

After having a bunch of issues with my last wireless router, (a Belkin) I am starting to consider buying an AirPort Express. I have a couple of questions before I decide, though.

Here's my situation:

I only have 1 computer in my house (my iMac) and the only reason I want wireless is for my PS3. I hated using the Belkin, as it cluttered up my desk and annoyed me with it's crappy interface, had issues with it slowing my connection down considerably, etc. I unhooked it a few months ago and just put it in the closet.

What I wanna do is just connect my ethernet cable from my cable modem straight into the AP Express, then just use AirPort on my iMac and the wireless on the PS3. Is this possible? Does the AP Express support WPA encryption? Just wondering because since it'd be my only means of connecting to the internet, I'd like it to be secure.

I also may be purchasing an older laptop at some point (probably an iBook G4) so I'll need the wi-fi for that as well.

I'm just not sure if what I want to do with the AirPort Express is possible, so any help will be greatly appreciated. :cool:

2. Bambeezer macrumors regular

The answers to your questions are YES. I have one as my only wireless router and it works great.

3. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Awesome. Glad to hear it. I'll probably be picking up one soon.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Also, it supports WPA2 (a lot of wireless routers don't) or a mix of WPA2 and WPA, which in my experience hasn't been all that reliable. WPA or WPA2 by itself is very reliable. I used to use my AE as my main wireless router until we got a wireless router/modem combo and only use the AE for AirTunes (amazing piece of tech). You'll love it.

5. FadeToBlack thread starter macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Awesome. Sounds great. I just got sick of having to fiddle around with the clunky interfaces of your typical wireless router. Plus, I had mine sitting on top of my cable modem and on my small desk, that made for a mess of wires and clutter. Clutter is the enemy and AP Express seems like the way to go, in my situation. Thanks for the reply.