Airport Express Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SnowLeopard2008, Jul 29, 2008.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I am looking to purchase a Airport Express and I have a few questions about it's uses.

One, I recently bought an iPod touch which I would like to charge via the USB port on the APE, is this possible? I know all USB ports are standard with DC of 5V electrical output, but I'm not sure.

Two, I already own an existing router and modem, can I use the APE to connect wireless to my router and use APE to broadcast a wireless signal? If not, can I use it via ethernet?

Thanks!

2. ColinEC macrumors 6502

I just connected my iPod Touch to my Airport Extreme Base Station and it's charging!

If the Airport Express has USB 2.0 plugs then it should charge.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

I've not done it, but I've heard wirelessly extending a non-apple base station can be a bit tricky.

You can hard wire the express, and have it act as a second base for your existing wireless network. Your wireless devices will automatically switch to the best signal

just
    -set the same SSID
    -same security settings
    -different channels (the more spread out the better)
    -on the express put connection sharing under the internet settings to "off bridged mode" this will cause the express wireless network to be an extension of your main network.

4. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Thanks! Just another quick question, which protocols does the APE support? Is it 802.11a/b/g/n or just plain n? It doesn't seem clear on the product description page on Apple's site.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

6. nintendude macrumors 6502

APE Charging my iPod touch doesn't work, it just charges for a second stops charges, stops, etc.

7. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

thanks for the image! and i'm gettign mixed feedback about the ipod touch charging via APE. anyone can confirm?

8. nintendude macrumors 6502

apple has a support document that says the APE can charge the shuffle but doesn't mention any other ipods

9. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea... I wanted someone to confirm it...

10. nintendude macrumors 6502

the tech specs page for AEBS and AE both say that they can support wireless printing but only AEBS says connect a HD so maybe the AEBS can support more power needed for charging it.

think about it like this. printers get power from power outlets but hard drives generally get it from what ever they are plugged into so the AEBS supports more power

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Mine flickers on and off (the charging screen), so I guess it doesn't charge.

If it was purposefully implemented not to charge by Apple I wouldn't be surprise--they want you to buy the $30 USB brick.

12. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I bought it anyway, and I plugged into my usb cable and it works. The icon in the right upper corner has a thunderbolt and when I wake it from sleep mode, there battery icon shows up. It works, although I have the AirPort Express (802.11a/b/g) and not the 802.11n. My local electronics store didn't carry n and g was on sale for $80.