Airport express question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sahni130, Nov 2, 2008.

1. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

hello everybody. i searched everywhere but i could not find a clear and concise answer to my question. I have an airport extreme and an airport express. Which is the best way to connect the airport express to the airport extreme- " join a wireless network" or " extend a wireless network"? sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
    thanks

2. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

3. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

so if i "extend the wireless network", i get better performance. i also have a xbox 360 connected to the airport express using ethernet.

4. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what you mean by better performance. If you mean better reception, then yes you do.

5. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

what i mean by better performance is better network speeds, like it won't slow the network down.

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

You want to join a current network. Then on the next screen you are going to click the box on the bottom that says, "Extend the range of this network."

Instructions

By the way, this is going to do nothing for your speeds. Unless you are really far away from your base station (really poor signal) it won't help. But even if that is the case you are going to want to put the Express somewhere between your AEBS and computer to get the best reception.