Airport Express Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by smswetz, Mar 12, 2009.

1. smswetz macrumors newbie

So I might be completely off here, but someone made this suggestion to me. I live in a small apartment, so I never set up a wireless network, because, well I don't need to. However, lately I've been interested in trying some things out with my iphone to see how they work (the remote application mainly), but don't really have the money or need to go out and buy a wireless router.

I was curious if there was any way to use my Airport Express Station as a wireless router? Someone told me it was possible, but after much googling, I didn't find much. :confused:

2. smswetz thread starter macrumors newbie

I did take a look at that already, but I'm not too knowledgable on this stuff, I guess I will look into it more.

Thanks

3. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yes - airport express can be used as a wireless router. It's very simple. If you don't want to drop a lot of cash, check ebay and craigslist - some good deals there.

4. gwihannom macrumors member

Not only can Airport Express be used as router, it IS a router :)
    (Well, sort of, wireless only router)

Airport Express is cheaper than Airport Extreme and Time Capsule, and it's very easy to set up through Airport Utility.

However, the downside will be that it's more expensive compared to other brands. You can get a fairly decent, if not great, routers for the price of Airport Express. And since you want to use it with your iPhone also, you can't even use it with new Wireless N devices, you need to have a Wireless G device.

And also, if you have any devices that you need to connect via Ethernet, you won't have any Ethernet ports with Airport Express.

But since you already own one, set it up as a wireless router.

5. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Yeah Airport Express is a wireless router.

Plug your cable or dsl modem into it and turn on wireless on your Mac. You can still use it to do AirTunes as well.

You might have to configure the Airport Express, but Apple has some guides afaik.