Airport Express Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by derek1984, Apr 21, 2009.

1. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

I will be going on vacation in a couple weeks and would like to take my Macbook Pro with me. The only problem I have is the hotel I am staying at charges for wi-fi everyday. I would like access to the internet, but I don't feel like paying the money for their wi-fi service. If I purchased Airport Express, would I be able to get internet access without having to pay for their fee? I already own Airport Extreme, so buying Express would be worth it for me anyways, I just would like to know if Express could allow me internet access without paying the hotel's fee...Thanks!

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

Uh... does the hotel have ethernet internet access?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AirPort Express doesn't provide internet access. It only allows you to connect wirelessly to an existing service. Unless the hotel's wireless network is unsecured (which is unlikely), you'd still need a password to access it.

4. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I don't think it will be unsecured since they charge a fee. Any difference if they do have a way to hook up ethernet?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If they provide ethernet access free, but only charge for wireless, you're in luck. Just plug the ethernet cable into the AirPort Express and you've got an instant wireless network that you can access.

6. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

No you still must pay for the wifi access. The AE is just a link to allow you to have wireless connection in your room - if its not already equipped with that function.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true if there's free ethernet access. The AE would not be joining the hotel's wireless network. It would be creating a new one.

8. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

Ah yes I'm sorry, GGJ's right there. I haven't come across any hotel that charges for wifi but offers Ethernet though. It will seem to cannibalize on their own business there, no? :eek:

I believe all this information can be available on the hotel's website - just run through it. And if its a short holiday, it does seem a might waste just to purchase the AE for this function when AEBS serves the same, albeit much bigger and heavier that is.

You can also check if the country offers temporary HSDPA contracts for travellers and businessmen, some countries do. You'll be given a modem which will be plugged in with a 3G data card that will offer you broadband speeds on the go. It might be much cheaper than subscribing to the hotel's network.

9. derek1984 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys for all of your help. The hotel's website really doesn't say anything about wifi. I actually had to go to tripadvisor to find out. I refuse to pay $7 a day for the internet. I thought maybe there could be a loophole! I can't wait to get an iPhone but I am trying to hold out until the new ones come out probably in a couple months.