Airport Express Question.....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DougFNJ, May 24, 2010.

1. DougFNJ macrumors 65816

DougFNJ

Hello, I was wondering, if I have Linksys Wireless G router in my basement, and I plug an Airport Express in my bedroom on the 2nd floor, does it upconvert the Wireless G to Wireless N? Or does it keep it at Wireless G and increases the WiFi reception in the house?

Thanks for any help.

2. DougFNJ thread starter macrumors 65816

DougFNJ

3. Devilfish1 macrumors newbie

Since the source of your wireless is G and everything has to go through that in order to get to the airport i'd say no it dosnt up-convert your wi-fi to n but will help boost the signal

4. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

Extending a network from two different branded routers is tricky. You can use an Airport Express to log onto your network and use it for wireless music/printing. This will of course only use your existing G network.

What do you want to accomplish with these two wireless routers?

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The signal will be n but won't ever exceed g speeds.

6. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I second this - both routers need to be compatible for one to extend another. Airport Express supports the WDS protocol. I used to have a Linksys router with custom firmware installed - supposedly it also supported WDS, but I never got it to work correctly.

In the end, I bought an Airport Extreme, which works perfectly with both of my Airport Expresses.