Airport Express question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RexySF, May 29, 2010.

1. RexySF macrumors member

Quick question... Thinking about using airport express as part of a whole house audio system. My question is will the music streaming to the airport(s) be in sync with the music playing on the local computer speakers or will there be a noticeable delay?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've never heard a delay. Completely in sync.

3. mmulin macrumors 6502

delay

4. RexySF thread starter macrumors member

LOL... One vote for each... Anyone else? This is very important as my apartment is a loft and all the rooms are at least semi open to each other.

5. courboy macrumors regular

They are both right. When you click to play a song from itunes for example, it waits about 0.5 seconds before actually playing so there is a delay. However, because of this, you don't notice any delay in any of the speakers in the rooms or on your computer.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

the audio coming out of the express is delayed due to buffering, but iTunes delays both the user interface and the audio coming out of the local speakers to match what comes out of the express. even visualizations will match the music.

the only noticeable difference is a small delay (under 2 seconds) when you start playing or skip songs. since it has to re-buffer.

you can also stream to multiple expresses, and they will all be in sync with each other and the local speakers.
    or you can stream to 1 or more expresses, and disable the local speakers, which i like because the music is coming out in the room, but other sounds (like mail alerts or whatever) come out of the local speakers.

there is also airfoil which lets you stream from other sources, but here you will notice a delay, so it's not the greatest for playing video, unless you use their player, or have a player that will shift the audio so it matches.
    But it is great for pandora / last.fm, and it will also stream to other computers (win, mac or linux) iphones, and ipod touches.

7. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I use an Airport Express and stream mostly through Airfoil--and my computer and my stereo are in perfect sync. I play both my computer and what is sent to Express through Airfoil and there is no delay.

8. RexySF thread starter macrumors member

Perfect, thanks! This is exactly what I needed. I don't care about a delay in start up or switching tracks as long as every room is perfectly in sync.

9. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yep, 2 x Express and Mac always in sync. I think I tried once with the two Apple TV's going as well. That was fine too. Pretty cool being able to switch rooms on and off using the iPhone remote app.

10. RexySF thread starter macrumors member

Thats the plan! Just wish they would come out with an iPad version of remote!