Airport Express Question?!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DannyBres, Jun 19, 2010.

1. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

I have a wireless network at home....

with a Airport Express in my berdroom will I be able to

• Stream music from my Macs
    • Connect my xbox to the wireless network via the ethernet socket
    • connect a printer to be shared by my Macs

At the same time?!!?

Thanks All

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes to 1 and 3. You can't connect to the wireless via the ethernet, since ethernet is wired. If you mean connecting the ethernet to the AE, then connecting to the wireless network from the xbox, then yes.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

yes to #2 also. as long as you get one of the newer N versions.
    (The N version has been out for a couple years, so basically don't cheap out and get the lowest priced one on ebay)

Unless you main router is from Apple, you won't be able to extend the wireless, but as long as you are happy with your current wireless coverage, you can set it to join the wireless network from any base station.

there is a check box for "allow ethernet clients". On the G version, this only shows up when you were extending.

You will want to connect an ethernet cable either directly to one of your computers or to your existing wired network to get the express configured. You can do it over wireless, but there are less chances for problems doing it wired. Once it's configured, and you have the green light, unplug it, move it (if needed) and plug an ethernet cable between the express and your xbox, and you should be up and running.

4. DannyBres thread starter macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Thanks guys!

I was hoping to have Xbox 360 ----ETHERNET---> Airport Express )))))802.11g)))) belkin wireless router

Will that work with both models or just the n model?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, the ethernet port on the AE is for input only, not output. The AE takes as input a wired ethernet connection, such as from a cable modem, and creates a wireless network that wireless-capable devices can connect to.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

That's an incorrect assumption. The Express is fully capable of joining a wireless network and extending that network out through it's Ethernet port. It just has to be configured correctly in AirPort Utility. The OP can do what he wants.

Edit: Follow the instructions in the last post in this thread:
    http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=27269

Edit 2: It seems that this can only be achieved by setting it up as a WDS remote or relay station.

Edit 3: This link seems to state that this only works with AirPort Base Stations as the main router:
    http://alexking.org/blog/2010/01/30/airport-express-provides-wired-connection

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My statement applies specifically to the OP's scenario, which includes a 3rd party router.
    That doesn't work for the OP:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1515?viewlocale=en_US

8. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yeah, I came across the "AirPort Base Station only" aspect after a bit more research. My apologies.

9. waw74 macrumors 68030

Yes, Yes it does.

please fully read the following quote from my previous post.
    and realize that joining a network and extending a network via WDS are 2 very different things.

It will work. I have just temporarily redone my network to make sure. This post actually went from

my MBP (airport turned off)
    --Ethernet cable-->
    Airport express (with N)
    --Wireless G-->
    Linksys router
    (running DD-wrt, but that doesn't make a difference here, it's just a plain wireless network)
    I'm not running WDS, I've only Joined the network coming from my linksys

if you look at the screen capture below, you'll see the "allow ethernet clients" check box.

[​IMG]

The older G expresses didn't have that option, only the N ones do. which is why the article that skorpien linked to has some inconsistencies... It's almost 6 years old

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's good to know, if it works. Have you found anything on the Apple site that documents this method?

11. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

3rd party router

I used an Airport Express to extend a network with a BuffaloTech router since the first AE was released. It worked flawlessly for years, much better than my experience with AE extending an Apple base station

12. iambasil macrumors regular

I've only just come across this thread but been trying to solve this issue (unsuccessfully) for years.

waw74... how did you do it without WDS bridging? Where was your screenshot from? (I think I've tried it in the past but I can't find it now).

I have an Orange Livebox (which doesn't seem to support WDS bridging) as my router, and my airport express sat right next to my Xbox 360 - but no matter what I've tried, for over a year I've never managed to get the xbox to join the wireless network.

Could you provide some instructions please? This is the first time I've come across somebody who's managed to do it with a 3rd party router and without using WDS.

13. waw74 macrumors 68030

It has to be the N version of the express, and you just set it to join the existing network.

14. iambasil macrumors regular

This is exactly how I set it up (with new AE but not joined in WDS) - but I got no joy. Reading on apple support, it said that it MUST be a WDS bridge for it to work. As I understand, if your router is running dd-wrt, then it means it does support WDS. Mine definitely does not. Could that have something to do with your working and mine not?

Also, could you remind me please how to get to the screen shot on Snow Leopard?

Thanks waw.

15. waw74 macrumors 68030

I'm not running wds on my dd-wrt

under airport -> wireless -> wireless mode, set it to "join a wireless network"

select your network, check the "allow ethernet clients" check box, and enter your security information.

I highly recommend, plugging an ethernet cable directly from your express to a computer for the setup. once it's configured, test it by turning off the airport on your computer. Once the express is working, you can move it, and plug into your xbox.

CMD-shift-4 - lets you pick a portion of the screen
    CMD-shift-3 - full screen.

16. iambasil macrumors regular

Thanks for keeping tabs on this waw. The box is checked... but you are dead right - I should be checking the connection on a computer not the xbox.

I'll test this as soon as I get home tonight. The article I was referring to was this

But you've given me renewed hope! I'll go test tonight without wds

17. iambasil macrumors regular

I've just checked it on my laptop (connected direct to AE via ethernet and switched off airport on laptop). It isn't working :(

I've attached the screenshots of the Base Station and Wireless tabs as well as the network connections (I tried changing DHCP/PPPoE and restarting AE - did nothing).

Are my AE settings the same as yours?

18. iambasil macrumors regular

Sorry, forgot - here they are.

Attached Files:

19. waw74 macrumors 68030

I've never seen the 3rd screen, but you want DHCP

I've also just tested it with my bluray player (closest thing i have to a game console) and it was able to stream netflix just fine. also was able to play a 1080 .mkv from my server on the network.

from the screen shots you posted it should be working.

under internet on mine
    on internet connection all options are greyed out
    and on TCP/IP i've got configure ipv4 to "using dhcp"

and just to make sure, you have to click update, to send the changes to the express, and let it reboot, before anything will change.

20. iambasil macrumors regular

Yeah, my settings are the same. In fact I didn't have to change any of the settings as I already had them that way (like I said, I've been trying for about a year). I restarted everything, redid the AE setup. Still nothing. I am assuming it is a router thing.

I actually also want to use it for streaming movies to my tv... oh well, will have to continue the old move computer and attach cables rigmarole for a while longer.

Thanks for your time and help though mate.

PS The third screenshot was from the System Preferences - Network.