Airport Express questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bellbound, Jan 31, 2012.

1. bellbound macrumors newbie

I have an Airport Extreme N and 3 Airport Express units. Two of them are G and one is N. I want to connect one of the Airport Express units to my printer to make it wireless.

1. If I connect the G unit will it slow down my whole N network?

2. How can you tell which are the G and which are the N Airport Express units? I don't see anything on them distinguishing them.

Thanks.

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Look up the model number from the bottom within something like Google aand it will tell the features of the router.

By theory, the networking is supposed to be as fast as its slowest link. In practice will you notice a difference, not sure as so many other factors come into play, such as distance to the main, interference in the area, channel being used, devices on the network, etc.

3. chinajon, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

chinajon macrumors newbie

chinajon

Utility

You might need to us this utility to set up the G. It is an old 2008 version for the Airport Express G. It won't work on the latest OSXs though.
    https://support.apple.com/kb/DL839

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If its the older dual band extreme then it'll step back to 'g' if it's a newer extreme then you can set it up with two different names for 2.4 and 5ghz in this case it won't step back to 'g'

5. macman312 macrumors 6502

I have a airport question..... We have recently moved out of our house to renovate and are now in the process of getting internet at our temporary address. We have a time capsule and a old 1st gen airport express. The airport and printer etc are set up in the basement but the basement is very large and there is a stereo at one end and the coax point(cable) at the other with no room for a table and large printer. So I thought if I put the EXPRESS with the printer and the stereo and the TIME CAPSULE near where the coax point is and the modem can live next to that. However I now can't print wirelessly since I plugged the printer into the EXPRESS. I have looked on airport utility and see that is connected and it can see it but I can't print, it could have something to do with the fact that the modem hasn't arrived yet but I thought and I was able to still print and connect to the network yesterday but since I plugged the EXPRESS in it won't work at all.

Sorry for the long post.... Suggestions?