Airport Express Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zjacoby, Feb 18, 2013.

1. zjacoby macrumors newbie

Just moved into a new apartment and would like suggestions on how I should set my wifi up. I am in NYC and have Time Warner Cable/Internet. They have provided a Ubee U10C022 modem/router. I have two 1st generation Airport Expresses (1 ethernet port, 1 usb, 1 audio port per airport).

I currently have the ISP provided Ubee Modem/Router pushing out a wifi signal. I also have the Airport Express plugged in via ethernet and joining that signal. Is this rebroadcasting the wifi? Does this help with the wifi or should I just run my wifi off of the airport and tell the ISP provided modem/router to just do ethernet? I plan to plug an audio cable into the airport express to hook up to my stereo.

In my bedroom - I have another 1st generation airport express that I plan to use for music hooked up to my bedroom speaker system. Do I need that setup to join the network so I can use air play? Any suggestions/comments are welcome. Thank you.

Best,
    Z

2. Giuly, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Sell your AirPort Expresses on eBay, and use the router, because your AirPorts use ancient 54MBit/s technology.
    If you need an AirPort Express, take that money and put it towards the latest-gen AirPort Express.

Well, or use them both in client mode.

3. zjacoby thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you suggest I then use for music? Or just keep the airport expresses for music only?

4. zjacoby thread starter macrumors newbie

Where do I do that?
    In Airport Utility (I have to use 5.6.1 because the airports are old)
    I currently have it set: Wireless Mode "Join a Wireless network"

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If both are set to "Join my wireless network" then you're all set.