Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
our current router (a belkin, not sure of the model though) has been acting very wacky the past few days, with frequent network drop offs, and it's becoming a bit of a problem. i'm thinking of replacing the router with an apple airport express to continue my mac conversion :apple:, but i have some questions before i buy.

1. apparently, our current router needs to be connected to both a computer and the internet via ethernet plugs to establish the network. problem is that i saw that the airport express only has one ethernet plug. can i run a full network at my house with just the airport express and how?

2. is the airport express expected to get an update in the near future? n-drafting?

3. any other advice? fyi, i'm the only mac user in the house, and trying to debate which computer would be the base computer.

thanks for your help.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
our current router (a belkin, not sure of the model though) has been acting very wacky the past few days, with frequent network drop offs, and it's becoming a bit of a problem. i'm thinking of replacing the router with an apple airport express to continue my mac conversion :apple:, but i have some questions before i buy.

1. apparently, our current router needs to be connected to both a computer and the internet via ethernet plugs to establish the network. problem is that i saw that the airport express only has one ethernet plug. can i run a full network at my house with just the airport express and how?

2. is the airport express expected to get an update in the near future? n-drafting?

3. any other advice? fyi, i'm the only mac user in the house, and trying to debate which computer would be the base computer.

thanks for your help.

The airport express is only if you are setting up a wireless network and not plugging into a main computer i believe. You need an airport extreme base station to do what you want.

axboi87

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2006
Dallas, Tx
Upgrade!

Pop a wireless card into that ancient pos desktop of yours and you won't have to worry about the single ethernet port lol....

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
sounds like we could get the airport express as soon as tomorrow. i'm going to confirm tonight if the drop offs are all on the belkin or the isp and get it off amazon tomorrow. still wondering if apple is planning to update the airport express soon (like before christmas) so that i don't get hosed by buying something just before an update. thanks.

only other problem is if the airport express plays nice with windows machines or not.

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
only other problem is if the airport express plays nice with windows machines or not.

My express plays just fine with my roommate's XP machine.

Realize that the airport express is configured completely wirelessly, so there is no need to plug it in directly to a computer. Unless you have an old machine without wireless, the express will work as a network just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.