Airport Express Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by russell.h, Dec 8, 2007.

1. russell.h macrumors regular

I have several questions about the Airport Express. My mother has decided that she wants some sort of multi room audio system, and I am considering using the "Airtunes" features of the Airport Express.

1. She has 2 PCs, no Macs, and is not in the market for one. It works with the Windows version of iTunes I assume?

2. She currently has a Linksys wireless router. Can the Airport Express connect to an existing wireless network if it uses a Linksys router? (If I recall its a generic WRT54G)

3. Like I said, she wants this to cover multiple rooms. Her desktop is in one of the rooms in question, but there are 2 others. If I put Airport Expresses in each of the other 2 rooms would it be possible to stream to both rooms simultaneously while also playing from speakers plugged into the computer? If so, is it possible to play separate streams? ie, be playing Bob Marley from one AE, Rammstein from the other and some Christmas music over the local speakers?

4. Is it any good? Does anyone have a better suggestion?

Thanks,

Russell

PS: I have a MBP that I can use to configure stuff - thank god, I would hate to have to use Vista...

2. maestrocasa macrumors regular

I just recently added an Airport Express to my existing system. I have much to learn, but here's what I think I know:

1) it will work with the current windows version of iTunes
    2) it should connect to the linksys router (or she can plug in to the express if it doesn't)
    3) I don't know about multiple streams, but you can stream to multiple sets of speakers (including computer) at the same time.
    4) it seems to be pretty good. BUT there are some serious limitations.
    a) it ONLY streams iTunes audio. not system audio and not audio from any other application (you can purchase "airfoil" for 25 bucks and stream other audio)
    b) there is a buffer lag designed into the hardware and as such it is not a suitable device for streaming the audio from a video (lag is several seconds). only for streaming audio.

NOW: I have a question for anyone else out there: does the iPod touch or iPhone have the ability to send a stream to the Express? Do we know if there are any plans to add this feature? cuz it would be seriously cool if it could. :p

3. jota73 macrumors 6502

jota73

Would be cool having that ability from the iphone, but yet is not available.