Airport Express Range

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tnsmart, Nov 22, 2008.

1. tnsmart macrumors 6502

Can anyone tell me the range of the Airport Express?

2. tnsmart thread starter macrumors 6502

Someone must have some idea. I would like to buy an airport express as a gift for someone to replace an old wireless router, but it needs to have a big range. Anyone know what the range is?

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

first, please wait more than 2 1/2 hours before getting upset that you have no answer, people don't sit on here waiting to answer your questions,

range depends on a few things
    • structure of the house (wood, cement, etc...)
    • local wireless interference (cordless phones, microwaves, other wireless networks even.)
    among others.

they typically work well for a small to medium sized apartment or a small house.
    chances are, if it's replacing an older router, your range will be similar to the older one.

4. pscraig macrumors member

My Airport Express (with n) did a great job when i had a 2-bedroom apartment. The router was plugged into a wall outlet on one end of the apartment and worked great everywhere. I now live in a 2-story house and the signal is just OK at the far end of the house. I upgraded to the Time Capsule and now get a signal 2 doors down and across the street. Sometimes I connect the AX to my stereo and use the Airtunes feature-that is very cool.

The Airport Express is very sensitive to placement-specifically anything metal around it. I had it plugged into an outlet with nothing around it for 3-4 feet. If you do as some do and just plug it into a power strip laying on the floor around lots of cables, the signal won't go far.

Overall it's a great device and would make a nice gift. Its also useful for anyone who travels-I now carry mine in my laptop bag, it does a great job of making any wired connection (like a hotel) into a wireless one.