Airport Express Range

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nickarmadillo, Mar 15, 2010.

1. nickarmadillo macrumors regular

This Summer I am moving from my student apartment back to my parents home. While my Airport Express (wireless n) works great in the apartment, I was wondering how well it will perform in a larger home. The router will be located in the basement, while my computer (a desktop with an Asus wireless n PCI Express card) will be on the main floor on the other end of the house (1 floor up and appx 55ft away). Will this be close enough to get a reliable signal? I do some online gaming and a lot of VOIP conferencing, so want to make sure that I will have enough connection available.

2. playalistic macrumors regular

N doesn't travel through walls/floors or other obstructions particularly well. To give you some idea, my airport extreme is downstairs and through two walls + one floor and I get just 60Mb/sec in this room whereas downstairs I connect at 300Mb. Also, in the room directly above the router (so through a floor) I connect at around 270Mb.

It really does depend on the makeup of your house.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

You will have better luck with a 2.4 signal, though it will be slower, it will go further.

4. nickarmadillo thread starter macrumors regular

I thought that N wireless was supposed to have twice the range of G. Is this not true?