Airport Express receives weak wifi signal + repeater

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Germwise, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Germwise macrumors regular

So I made a deal with a neighbor where we share the cost of internet. We use a wifi network and I use my MBP in my office and get 2, sometimes 3 bars of wifi.

I wanted to extend wifi to the rest of the house and also be able to plug in my printer so I bought an airport express.

First problem I'm running into is that where my 2009 MBP 13" laptop gets 2-3 bars, the router doesn't even SEE the wifi signal from the original D-Link Router.

Is there something I can do to increase reception and put my express in repeater mode?

I've tried plugging the router into an extension cord and moving it all around, no luck.

Please help!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Take a look at the fine print:

Apple's wireless networking hardware is pretty but rather overpriced. Try getting a dedicated repeater like this one instead, or have your neighbour set up a directional antenna.

3. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

That one is only $20 less than an Airport Express and that's is only "G", an Express is "N". What I like about the Express is the whole iTunes "Play the music from your computer's iTunes library through a set of speakers or stereo in just about any room in your home — wirelessly."

EDIT- I just saw the OP has a D-Link Router

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

But it doesn't work. Bit of a strike against it there. ;)