AirPort Express refresh?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JWCompany, Dec 27, 2010.

1. JWCompany macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi,

I thought I might buy myself an AirPort Express so I can use Airtunes with my speakers. I was just wondering if anyone knows about upcomming new models. I plan on purchasing my first Mac in spring whenever the new MacBooks arrive so the truth is I can hardly use the AirPort Express until then. So I can wait. But if they aren't likely to recieve an update I thought I might just as well get them now and use them with my ipod. Any ideas about the Airport Express's product cycle?

Thanks a lot.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

the last refresh the express saw was when the N version came out 2 or 3 years ago, and i believe it replaced the first version.
    so chances are nothing new is coming, but only steve knows for sure.

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Personally, I can't see the logic of the question. Airport Expresses will be updated if ever one is released.

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

based on nearly nothing at all, I would estimate a refresh in the next year or so. The aesthetic design of the express is a few generations behind Apple's current style, and judging by the AppleTV 2's tiny size, the internals must be pretty outdated as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they could shrink it down to nearly the size of an iPad wall plug, just judging from the ATV2. Without any visual processing to be worried about and the lack of an HDMI port, things could certainly get pretty small.

But aside from a design change, I don't see much else the product could benefit from. Price drop, maybe? It does its job well, and extra features just don't seem necessary.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AirPort Express was released in June, 2004 and updated in March, 2008. What's hard to understand?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree with you, make them small and pretty for about $40 and I think a lot of people would but them. Particularly wifi iPad users.

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

They are already among the smallest routers available, and Apple has always kind of ignored this product, so I wouldn't hold off hoping for an update. Fwiw, you don't need a Mac to stream music to an AE, any computer runnin iTunes or Airfoil works fine.

8. JWCompany thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for your ideas and two cents. Currently I don't even have a computer so buying an AirPort Express is indeed not too important. But I've got some money left from christmas and at least it would save me the neglegible effort of pluging the audio jack into my iPod. And as I said come the next MacBook models I shall stream, AirPlay and airfoil to my heart's content. I suppose you're right, Apple kind of ignores this product with just two models in 7 years. So it seems unlikely they'll upgrade it in the next few months. And I might be happier buying now.
    On a quick side note: Is it correct to assume that it will cooperate with any router, not just Apple's own? And can I bring it to parties where it would be without connection to a router, and still offer anyone running a Bonjour service to stream music through it?

Many thanks.

9. John T macrumors 68020

John T

The reason for the original question.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Looks pretty clear to everyone else:

11. waw74 macrumors 68030

you can join the network from any wireless router.

you can only extend apple routers. (it can be done with others, but you need some skills)

sort of, in order to stream music, you must have some sort of network connection.

so they must be connected to the same wireless network (or 2 different that are bridged together)
    or ...
    have the express serving up it's own network, but in that case if the express isn't plugged into ethernet, any device that is streaming music would loose internet connection.

12. JWCompany thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot. Your responses helped me to become a happy shopper. And John T: Sorry to have bothered you. Thanks for taking time though.

13. John T macrumors 68020

John T

That's OK! Glad to hear you've done the right thing and gone ahead and treated yourself :) Happy listening!

14. nutmac macrumors 68040

AE was last updated (hardware wise) in March 2008 with 802.11n. So next hardware update may not arrive until 802.11n's successor enters the draft stage.

The successor is most likely WiGig (Wireless Gigabit), which adds 60 GHz (in addition to previous 2.4 and 5 GHz) for maximum theoretical throughput of 7 Gbps (more than 10 times faster than fastest 802.11n). In addition to faster throughput, it adds A/V and I/O layers to support wireless transmission of audio/video and high-speed peripherals, respectively.

WiGig spec was completed last month, so updated AirPort products may arrive in 2011.

Perhaps AEBS and TC will gain AirPrint and AirPlay as well.