Airport Express seemingly out of stock everywhere?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mindflux, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I'm looking to get an Airport Express to bridge with my Extreme so I can bump my Extreme to 5GHz "N" mode, and let my b/g devices go through the express.

I stopped in at Best Buy and Fry's today and both places were out. Macmall whom I've bought two iMac's from in the past 3 months is out. The Apple store of course has them...

Is there something coming down the pipe that I don't know about?

I may just order up a refurb. 80 bucks ain't too shabby.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Now that you mention it I haven't seen an Express in store for a few months. The Extreme is plentiful though. Get it refurbished and save some cash.

3. Mindflux thread starter macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Just makes me wonder if there is a revised product in the pipe.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Good question. Certainly would make sense to upgrade it to N-capability.

In stock at Amazon. 3-5 days at Apple, which seems long for a non-BTO product.

5. Mindflux thread starter macrumors 68000

Mindflux

It's not direct from Amazon though, it's through one of the vendors who sell through them. Earlier in the day the cheapest you could get one on there was 190. It was bonkers.

I hope they don't upgrade to N capability, atleast not very soon since I'm buying this now..

6. Phish311 macrumors regular

help

can someone please explain to me the deal with "N" technology and what it does and how i can accomplish it. i currently have an express and and AEBS, so id appreciate the help and explanations. thanks

7. Crunchy macrumors member

Apple Edu Store order delayed 1 month so far

I ordered an Airport Express through the Apple Education Store in early January. It was supposed to ship within the week; got the email at the end of that week that it would be another week. And then again. Now it's supposed to ship *next* week. I'd like to know what the deal is too. Are there updates coming or what? I'd be happy with the older product.

8. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

i bought a brand new one for 39bucks

at best buy

9. wmikulic macrumors newbie

Last weekend I went to MicroCenter to buy an Airport Express -- it's out of stock. Plenty of the much more expensive Extremes though. They said don't bother going to the Apple Store, they're sold out there too. Yesterday I went to Fry's and the Express was sold out there too. WTF? Why are we being forced to throw away twice the money and buy the Extremely unnecessary Extreme?

10. wmikulic macrumors newbie

Actually, I'm wondering if it was somehow possible to plug a video iPod into the USB connection of the Airport Express and broadcast downloaded video content in a way inconsistent with Apple's recent agreements for HD video TV and Movies available on iTunes? Is there some subversive Apple tactics going on behind the scenes to kill the Express, or at least secretly remove functionality? Why wouldn't they just announce that it has been discontinued?