Airport Express Set Problems (Again)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jeddouglas, Mar 15, 2013.

1. jeddouglas macrumors member

I am trying to set up the new version of the Airport Express and having problems. All I want to use it for is to stream music wirelessly from my iMac to my existing hifi.

My ideal scenario is to have it on my existing wi-fi network. I have a non apple wireless router/modem (Huawei Echolife HG532) from my ISP (TalkTalk). I have tried setting it up in the following 3 ways:

1. Create a wireless network and give the wireless network the same name and password as my existing wireless network, then switch the AE to Bridge mode.

2. Add to an existing wireless network, then switch the AE to bridge mode

3. Create a wireless network and give it a name other than my existing network i.e. create a completely new network, purely for streaming, but that does not have a connection to the internet.

I tried to do number 1 using the airport utility on my ipad 2 and with an ethernet cable between the AE and my router (for set up only), with a view to disconnecting the ethernet cable and then using the wireless network for streaming. Set up appeared to work fine, but when I tried to stream from iTunes (even with the ethernet cable still connected), it was not finding the AE. I then opened Airport Utility on my iMac and it was not showing the AE as connected, even though it was still showing as connected on AU on the ipad! Is there a problem with AU on my iMac?

I then tried to do item 2 using AU on the iMac and was getting the message "an unexpected error occurred".

I have had item 3 working previously okay, but for some reason last night it didn't seem to work. I am not sure if I need to switch the AE to bridge mode for this scenario. Can anyone advise please?

I am considering trying a different router/modem, but I don't want to spend the money and find out I still have a problem. Can anyone recommend a router type that works?

I should point out that after reading previous threads I have turned IPv6 off via Terminal, but am now wondering whether I should turn it back on and retrying the above to see if that helps.

Please can anyone help as I am spending all my evenings trying to get the AE to work, but with no success.

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

I have my AEs connected by LAN, but when I setup the second AE I don't use "Add to an existing wireless network" I use "Create a wireless network".

Also on the second AE I use EXACTLY THE SAME WiFi settings as the first.

The send AE does stay in Bridge mode, but I'm using a LAN connection so it might be different.

What this setup does for me is to create a Roaming network, where any WiFi device can connect on the same settings to any AE unit.

3. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

If all you want to do is use it for streaming, save yourself the hassle and set it up as "connect to existing network". This is essentially client mode, simplest and least trouble. Its how I config my AE for streaming only.

4. jeddouglas thread starter macrumors member

I have tried doing that, but I am getting the "unexpected error" message. I am thinking my router might be the problem.

5. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Can you turn off the router part of the router/modem and use the AE as the router ?

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

you get the "unexpected error" when you try to use airplay?
    (so the airport works until you try to stream music)

try rebooting the main router.
    some routers have problems with airplay. try googling "your router model and airplay"
    look for a setting called WMM (it may not be there) and try changing that.

You don't want bridge mode.
    You want your AE to connect to your existing network (don't have access to my express at the moment, but i think the terminology they use is "join a network")

bridge mode is for using the express as a wired to wireless bridge. So you would have an ethernet cable from your existing network to the express, and the express would act as a secondary wireless point.

you also don't want "extend a network" that normally only works well if your main base station is from apple.

7. jeddouglas thread starter macrumors member

How do I do that?

----------

I get unexpected error when I try to add to existing network. I have briefly had it working by adding to existing network, but it loses the connection after a few minutes.

The only option I have for WMM is to have it enabled or disabled. Which should I choose?

Thank you for the advice regarding bridge mode.

8. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

9. jeddouglas thread starter macrumors member

10. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

11. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Maybe this is trying to solve the wrong problem. If your network works fine with your iMac connecting by WiFi to the Huawei then all you might need to do is to get the AE to join the existing WiFi network. Maybe I missed that - have you tried Adding the AE to the existing network ? Don't use Bridge mode.

Does this config have a problem ?

12. jeddouglas thread starter macrumors member

Drsox, thanks for all your help and suggestions. I had tried connecting it to the existing network but it wasn't working. I bought myself a new router for £40 (Netgear N150) and all my problems have been solved. What a relief!

13. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Well done you. Glad to hear it.

14. jeddouglas thread starter macrumors member

Airport Express Drop Out Recurrence

Recently been having problems with occasional dropout when playing musing from my iMac to the AE from itunes. I thought the problem had been resolved by changing my wifi router to a NetGear back in March. The AE is just added to my existing network and I only use it for playing music to my hi-fi.

Noticed there was a recent firmware upgrade for the AE so went ahead and installed it (7.6.4). Now, when I try to play a track from the iMac on itunes to the AE, after a few seconds I get a network timed out error and the airplay symbol turns orange. The strange thing is, that when I open Airport Utility, everything seems to be connected and working. The signal strength is classed as "Good". I have tried re-setting the AE back to factory settings and also powered off/on my Netgear router but still getting the same problem.

I have read some other threads about going back to an earlier version of the firmware but can't seem to be able to do this.

Considering buying ethernet power adapters and connecting the AE via ethernet to the Netgear. Would this work? Would I then be able to use the AE to extend the wireless network i.e in Client mode and still use it to play music?

15. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Yes, Powerline should work but IMO only at 15% of the rated data rates. Also, the AE should now be set to Create a Wireless Network, not to Extend. Set up the new Network the same as the Netgear - should work, but I've only done this with AEs, not with a mix of AE and ANO routers.

16. jeddouglas thread starter macrumors member

Drsox, thanks for your response re the Powerline option. I was hoping someone might have a quick fix for the drop out problem?