Airport Express Set up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jrf2012, Oct 27, 2011.

1. jrf2012 macrumors newbie

Hi I'm a newbie so if anyone could help that would be great.

I just hooked up Airport Express I set up a new wifi network. I then connected airport express to my stereo and via Ethernet to my modem. Do I have to leave the ethernet connected in order for it to work? If I unplug the ethernet it starts flashing amber. I thought the purpose of it was to use the existing wifi network. If I don't connect to it using the Airport Express network I set up I cant' see it at all and it wont' appear in iTunes.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't have to be connected to the internet to use your WiFi network. Yes, you can still use the AE for playing iTunes music on your stereo speakers, even if the internet is disconnected. However, you won't be able to surf the web via WiFi and play your music at the same time, unless both are on the same WiFi network.

3. jrf2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Without Ethernet

Ok so if I disconnect the Ethernet cable and AE keeps flashing amber it's nothing to worry about? Just use it as usual?

Thank you :)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. jrf2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

You can set up the Express to join your existing wireless network, you will then be able to surf and use AirPlay at the same time. (and no blinking lights)

It's under the wireless settings.