airport express setup (invalid IP?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sixty9m3, Sep 10, 2009.

1. sixty9m3 macrumors newbie

i have a few questions about my current airport express setup. i recently purchased one for use in my dorm to create a wireless network. the connection i have in my dorm is currently only wired. i installed the software and plugged in my airport express with the ethernet cable connected to the wall jack.

the problem i'm having, after running the setup through the airport utility, is that i do not get a valid ip address from the wall jack to my airport. i've tried multiple remedies and searching online for a solution. so is it even possible to setup a wireless network with my airport this way? if so, what steps should i take to fix this problem? any help is appreciated. thanks.

calvin

2. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Depends on how your university requires you to get on their network. When you plug in your computer directly into the Ethernet port, do you have to go through any sort of school login?

3. sixty9m3 thread starter macrumors newbie

no, there's no university login. it's straight plug and play for my mbp

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You should check to see if you're schools allows multiple IPs per outlet; if they do, set the Airport to bridge mode and you should be good to go.