Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sixty9m3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
i have a few questions about my current airport express setup. i recently purchased one for use in my dorm to create a wireless network. the connection i have in my dorm is currently only wired. i installed the software and plugged in my airport express with the ethernet cable connected to the wall jack.

the problem i'm having, after running the setup through the airport utility, is that i do not get a valid ip address from the wall jack to my airport. i've tried multiple remedies and searching online for a solution. so is it even possible to setup a wireless network with my airport this way? if so, what steps should i take to fix this problem? any help is appreciated. thanks.

calvin

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Depends on how your university requires you to get on their network. When you plug in your computer directly into the Ethernet port, do you have to go through any sort of school login?

sixty9m3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
no, there's no university login. it's straight plug and play for my mbp

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You should check to see if you're schools allows multiple IPs per outlet; if they do, set the Airport to bridge mode and you should be good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.