Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Ok....so I just got the new Airport Express and im trying to set it up to an extension of my network.

So i plug in the Express to the power outlet.
I reset it
It shows up on my wireless.
I connect to it
I go through the utility and choose that I want it part of my network.

BUT, once I get to where I choose my network and password, it wont grab my password! I select my network name, I select Wep (I just checked under my router login and im currently using a Netgear N) and it says I need 13 characters where my password is 10....

I even tried to change my password to 13 on my router send where then that says, I can only set 10....

Im ready to punch this thing lol. Please help =/

Edit:
Im now trying this under manual setup and everytime the unit resets itself after i change some info, my Airport Utility says that it cannot find that unit anymore. "Airport Utility was unable to find your wireless device after restarting".

I even try just changing basic information on it like its name and wireless password...not telling it to connect or extend anything...

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
quoted from http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/583223-wep-key-change-length.html
ASCII vs HEX
There are two numbering systems here (as well as two versions of WEP).

WEP uses either 64 bits or 128 bits for the key. The first 24 bits of the key are the initialization vector (IV). Subtract out the 24 bits of the IV to get the entered key.

64 – 24 – 40 bits; 40 bits / 8 bits per character = 5 ASCII characters
or
128 – 24 – 104 bits; 104 bits / 8 bits per character = 13 ASCII characters

With me so far?

The math for the hexadecimal numbering system is based on 4 bits (0 to F; 0 = 0000, F = 1111)

64 – 24 = 40 bits; 40 bits / 4 bits = 10 hex digits
or
128 – 24 = 104 bits; 104 bits / 4 bits = 26 hex digits

So you can enter 5 ASCII characters or 10 hex characters to yield the same key for 64-bit WEP. Hex numbers are typically preceded by a 0x.

I hope this helps.

All that being said, can you switch over to WPA?
WEP is easily cracked, while not as bad as leaving the door unlocked, you are leaving the key under the mat, and anyone who really wants in can do so.

also are you trying to extend your network, or just have the express join? extending a non-apple base station is not easy.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
quoted from http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/583223-wep-key-change-length.html

All that being said, can you switch over to WPA?
WEP is easily cracked, while not as bad as leaving the door unlocked, you are leaving the key under the mat, and anyone who really wants in can do so.

also are you trying to extend your network, or just have the express join? extending a non-apple base station is not easy.

Im not sure what the difference between joining a wireless network or extending a wireless network is...but I have it set on "join a wireless network" and ive honestly clicked on so many settings that its finally working...but now, I dunno which setting I should choose.

edit:
yea, it seems like i can have it "Join" the wireless network...but not extend it.

I just wanna stream music lol

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
youre having a hard time cuz you're using a netgear and the apple express.

I did the same thing as you but I had an extreme and it just so damn easy to do the extend.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
youre having a hard time cuz you're using a netgear and the apple express.

I did the same thing as you but I had an extreme and it just so damn easy to do the extend.

Yea man, believe me, this Netgear N router, even though I spent $200 on it, is a POS.

So really? With the Base Station is simple setup? hhhmmm...ill be getting the Base Station soon......

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Seems like your netgear router is using wep 64bit encryption... You should probably switch over to wep 128bit or wpa or even wpa2. The airport express shouldn't have a problem joining the wireless network with wep-128, wpa or wpa2. A problem will arise if you are trying to extend your network which probably won't work as a lot of common routers don't have wds or implement wds in a different way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.