Airport Express Setup is driving me nuts!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by illegalprelude, Apr 6, 2009.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Ok....so I just got the new Airport Express and im trying to set it up to an extension of my network.

So i plug in the Express to the power outlet.
    I reset it
    It shows up on my wireless.
    I connect to it
    I go through the utility and choose that I want it part of my network.

BUT, once I get to where I choose my network and password, it wont grab my password! I select my network name, I select Wep (I just checked under my router login and im currently using a Netgear N) and it says I need 13 characters where my password is 10....

I even tried to change my password to 13 on my router send where then that says, I can only set 10....

Im ready to punch this thing lol. Please help =/

Edit:
    Im now trying this under manual setup and everytime the unit resets itself after i change some info, my Airport Utility says that it cannot find that unit anymore. "Airport Utility was unable to find your wireless device after restarting".

I even try just changing basic information on it like its name and wireless password...not telling it to connect or extend anything...

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

quoted from http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/583223-wep-key-change-length.html
    All that being said, can you switch over to WPA?
    WEP is easily cracked, while not as bad as leaving the door unlocked, you are leaving the key under the mat, and anyone who really wants in can do so.

also are you trying to extend your network, or just have the express join? extending a non-apple base station is not easy.

3. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Im not sure what the difference between joining a wireless network or extending a wireless network is...but I have it set on "join a wireless network" and ive honestly clicked on so many settings that its finally working...but now, I dunno which setting I should choose.

edit:
    yea, it seems like i can have it "Join" the wireless network...but not extend it.

I just wanna stream music lol

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

youre having a hard time cuz you're using a netgear and the apple express.

I did the same thing as you but I had an extreme and it just so damn easy to do the extend.

5. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Yea man, believe me, this Netgear N router, even though I spent $200 on it, is a POS.

So really? With the Base Station is simple setup? hhhmmm...ill be getting the Base Station soon......

6. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Seems like your netgear router is using wep 64bit encryption... You should probably switch over to wep 128bit or wpa or even wpa2. The airport express shouldn't have a problem joining the wireless network with wep-128, wpa or wpa2. A problem will arise if you are trying to extend your network which probably won't work as a lot of common routers don't have wds or implement wds in a different way.