Airport Express Setup Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RMSko, Jul 4, 2012.

1. RMSko macrumors 6502

I'm about to buy the new Airport Express, but before I do I want to make sure it will do what I want. I have some G devices and I would like to isolate them from my N devices since my understanding is if you run G and N devices on the same wireless network they will not run at the fastest N speeds.

My main router needs to be in a corner of my house b/c that's where my FiOS internet connection is. In contrast, my Airport Express is more centralized and is better placed to reach all devices throughout my house. All my G devices are within range of my Linksys and so what I propose is to have all my G devices connect to my Linksys router and then connect an Airport Express via Ethernet to a port on my router and have all my N devices then connect to the Airport Express (I'm pretty sure I just need to set up the Airport Express in bridge mode and have it "create a new wireless network").

I just want to make sure I'm getting the maximum wireless speeds. If I set it up as described, will there be any degradation in wireless speeds compared to having my N devices connect directly to my Linksys? Is there a better setup I should be considering? I'd really appreciate any thoughts and advice.

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

It's automatic dual band, giving you the best of both worlds.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

you've got it.

You'll want the N network (5GHz) to have a different name, so you can force your compatible devices to connect to that network.

On the 2.4 side just give it the same SSID and security settings, but a different channel, as your main base, and your devices will switch to the stronger network as you move around.

5GHz is not as good with going through walls and other objects as 2.4 is, so your range will be shorter if you have more walls.

unless you've got FIOS' new quantum level, you're probably not going to see faster internet speeds. A solid G signal is more than enough to handle their basic fiber service (or cable or DSL).
    Your internal traffic, like file transfers or time machine backups, will see a speed up though.

4. RMSko thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info! My FiOS has 75 Mbps download and 35 Mbps download speed. I don't know if that's the quantum level though. Anyway, I just installed the new AE, and I was suprised to see that there wasn't an "n" only option for the 2.4Ghz network, or if there is, I haven't been able to find it. Did they eliminate this option b/c of the 5Ghz "n" only network?

I also haven't been able to find a way to setup the guest account. Anyone know?

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

try alt-clicking the drop-down list, i know that gave more options on the older models.

with the 75 Mb/s down, you may see a small bump

6. RMSko, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

RMSko thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup - that did it! Thanks so much, it was driving me crazy. BTW - do you know the difference between:

7. RMSko thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually set them up with different SSIDs, but since I added each SSID as a saved network, if I get out of range with my first choice, won't it automatically switch to the other main base station and accomplish the same thing as giving them the same name? The reason I originally gave them different names was to isolate my G network from my N network, but maybe I was over-thinking it? Anyway, if giving them each the same SSID provides a benefit over what I've done then I'd like to change it, but if my setup accomplishes the same thing, then I'm thinking leave well enough alone.

8. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

Your way is just fine. It takes a little more setup when adding a new device but it also will make things easier when troubleshooting connection problems.

Feel free to leave it as is.