Airport Express Setup Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Duffinator, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Duffinator macrumors 6502

Duffinator

I'm trying to connect an AE to my PC using XP with a D-Link DIR-655 WiFi router. I've used the airport utility and connected the AE to my router via ethernet. It appears to be setup properly and I can see it on the D-Link software. After disconnecting the ethernet cable and with the AE sitting next to the router it continually shows up and then disappears. The light is green on the AE. Then I disconnected the power and moved the AE into the place where I'm going to use it. Now it will show up on my D-Link software occasionally but the light won't turn green. It also doesn't show up on the airport utility software. I also have a Touch and ATV that both work fine on the same network and the same location. The AE is about 30 feet from the router with only one wall in between them.

Am I missing something here or could there be a problem with the AE? I'm no expert on WiFi and appreciate any assistance you can provide.

2. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

Do I need to setup the AE every time it's unplugged?

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

you should not have to set it up every time, it will hold it's settings when powered down.

what exactly are you trying to accomplish with the express?

some examples, you can have more than one of these as an answer.
    • have the express act as a wireless card for your PC?
    • extend the network?
    • wireless airtunes speakers?
    • wireless print server?

4. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

Play iTunes through my stereo. I'm currently using my ATV but wanted to try the AE using my 2G Touch to control iTunes. I think something is wrong with the AE. I'm doing the setup via Ethernet. When I disconnect the AE and use wirelessly it shows 100% on my WiFi router status page but then drops. Then it shows up again. My Touch, ATV, and laptop do not drop like that. Any ideas what's up?

5. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

Another thing, when I unplug it and move it to another room the amber light blinks and never turns green. But it will show on my status screen for a few seconds at 80% and then disappear.

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

so you have it set up to "join existing wireless network"

every so often i have problems, and i have to reset my wireless router (the main one, not the express) to get it to work.

7. Duffinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Duffinator

Yes. I have no clue what the problem might be. Still not working.