Airport Express. Share Network over Ethernet.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rooskibar03, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

So I took the plunge and picked up an AEBS and Airport Express. Got the base station up and running fine. As expected my xBox will not connect, hense the reason I picked up the Express.

Putting the xbox aside for now, I cannot get the express to allow me internet access over ethernet when connected to my laptop.

I set it up to extend my wireless network and allow users to connect. What am I missing here?

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

1. Why did you expect the xbox to not connect? The AEBS supports 802.11a/b/g/n

2. Your xbox would not connect to either the AEBS or the Express?

3. Please explain your set up again. You have an ethernet connection between your laptop and the Express? Why?

3. jgunn macrumors regular

I'm trying to do a smilar thing. I have a time capsule and an airport express near my xbox360. The time capsule is upstairs and I extend the network to my express and plug the 360 in via ethernet to the express.

The 360 detects it's wired in but won't pick up an IP.

Also the airport utility doesn;t pick up the express after I have configured it. It does have the green light though.

Strange

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I think you need to set it up in bridge mode, so that the ethernet jack acts as a LAN jack.

5. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

I'm currently doing this to hook up my ps3 in the basement theater.

Here's my setup. It works like a charm!

Ignore my MAC addresses, you saw nothing! (I'm lazy, and I don't feel like blurring them - not that you could really do anything where you are anyway :D )

edit: nevermind, I got 'em

Attached Files:

6. jgunn macrumors regular

I got mine working last night. When it came to the airport express setup as a remote I found I had to move closer to the actual unit with my laptop which was in the same room. Then it worked like a charm. 360 is online just in time for GTA4.

:)