airport express signal terrible

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jmodamagicmofo, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Jmodamagicmofo macrumors member

just installed new extreme card for my power mac g5 to connect to my new ap express station in hopes to use airtunes. Card installed fine. My ap express station, according to istumbler gets 40% 2feet away, 30% ten feet away in same room. My express station doesn't even show up if it is farther than ten feet from my comp. I tried changing channels with no results. Istumbler showed no other devices beside my router on a different channel. I checked the signal of ap express on my iPhone and it doesn't show up at the same distances as the computer mentioned above. I also tried moving it to different rooms with no luck. Is ap express this bad? I expected at least fifty to seventy feet or so. Is this a defective device or am I missing something here?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

possible defective,
    but also you can get interference from
    • microwave ovens (only when running, so probably not it)
    • cordless phones (try unplugging base, and removing battery from handset)
    • sometimes bluetooth devices.
    I get decent range out of mine, at least 40 feet through a couple walls.

3. Jmodamagicmofo thread starter macrumors member

I am going to call apple tomorrow to see what they say. I don't have a cordless phone or Bluetooth. But, is it reasonable to expect successful airtunes setup at fifty feet through a straight room with walls with openings, with a properly working ap express?

4. Jmodamagicmofo thread starter macrumors member

okay, after many hours of fruitless experimentation, the mac genius tells me the extreme card needs an antenna attached to the back of mynpower mac g5. I had no idea I needed this. I thought the card was good enough. So now I wait for my antenna to arrive.