Airport Express slow speeds, should I upgrade device?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by deconstructed, Oct 24, 2015.

1. deconstructed macrumors newbie

I'm having issues with really low download speeds (6M) when using our Airport Express as an extension of our wifi.

I've recently switched to BT Infinity and we get around 50m download speed from the office where the main Extreme/Hub5 is. We are using a BT Hub 5 but have plugged in our AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen) which also gives us 50m download speed.

Before we switched over we had an AirPort Express 802.11n (1st Gen) linked to the Extreme, which gave us a really good range, consistent download speeds (of 6M for both) and strong signal.

However since the switch over, if the Express is not switched on then you get about 20M in the kitchen (around 6 metres away) which drops out often or devices often don't see the wifi. We got round this in past with the Express extending the wifi but if it's now switched on then we are pushed down to only 6M.

Should I buy a new Express? or is there anything anyone could suggest doing?

Cheers

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Either use a new Express or Extreme or hardwire the existing one over Ethernet. If you need more hardware, shoot me a PM.