Airport Express Slowing Performance! PLZ Help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iamcosmos, Apr 25, 2010.

1. iamcosmos macrumors newbie

I have had an Airport Express N and over the past few weeks the performance has substantially degraded. A few months ago I stared doing a lot of streaming via my Wii for Netflix.

I am still able to connect with my laptop but the performance is very slow. The streaming for Netflix movies doesn't work because it just sits there trying to load.

I've reset the modem/airport without any improvement. Do they just wear out after lots of data transfer? Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

The performance should not degrade over time. I would recommend changing the wireless channel to one of the following:

or

or

Give each one of those a try and see if performance improves.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Does the Wii have wireless N? I don't think it does, and having a mixed b/g and n network will affect transfer speeds over the local network. Try with the Wii off and see what happens.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

My guess is that over the last few weeks, some sort of wireless interference has been introduced into your neighbourhood which is in turn affecting your wireless performance. I would go with what Celeron suggested and change the channel. I believe you can use software like iStumbler to figure out which channel is best to use.

While I've heard that the performance of the Express may slow as it ages, it usually takes years before it starts exhibiting such severe symptoms.