Airport Express static IP configuration

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sarathchandars, May 31, 2014.

1. sarathchandars macrumors newbie

My DSL provider, who placed at home a modem with 4 ethernet ports, does not have DHCP and gave me the following details: IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway (I’m presuming this is the Router address to be entered in Airport Utility), DNS and alternate DNS. I configured it as Static IP, and initially AirPort Express suggested that I put the router in “Bridge Mode” and pointed me to how I can change it. Now the router indicted green but Internet was still amber.

Following all this, when I tried connecting using my MacBook, I get the message that it has a “self-assigned IP and cannot connect to the internet”. I don’t know what to do to make it work.

I configured the same settings for the Ethernet adapter on my MacBook and I’m able to connect to the internet. I don’t know if this is helpful but thought I’d put all the information I have on the forum.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You don't want Bridge Mode with a static IP. Set up your static info on the Internet tab in AirPort Utility - then set the Network tab to DHCP and NAT. The AirPort will be providing DHCP to your computers, even though your ISP is not providing DHCP to you.

3. sarathchandars thread starter macrumors newbie

Works but doesn't work

Thanks for your reply. I switched out of Bridged mode into DHCP and NAT. This raised a Double NAT error from Airport. I broadly understood the logic that Airport has to act as the DHCP server and so I switched to DHCP only. This did the trick and now I'm connected to the internet! But, now it lets me access internet on only one device at a time.

See, when I log in for the first time, I've to enter a username and password to log into the ISP's gateway - much like in a hotel. But, the ISP guaranteed to me that I'd have to do it only once if I've a wireless router as entering it once on a device will keep the gateway open for other devices. Now, once I've logged into my MacBook I lose internet on my iPhone. Could this be solved somehow?

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

It sounds like your cable modern is actually a router, otherwise why you get the double NAT warning? Where is the 2nd NAT coming from?

May be login your cable modern and check the setting there.

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Double NAT is not an error, it's a warning.
    Double NAT is not an issue.

Just test with DHCP + NAT, it should work.