Airport Express Strange Problem (dropping/ disapearing networks)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by amospang, Jul 28, 2009.

1. amospang macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've got a airport express a little over a year old. I use it as a wireless router together with a netgear modem. Worked fine till about a month ago.
    What happened was it just decided to not let me log on one day. I reseted it to factory settings and could not create a network afterthat. Kept saying network error ...

I took it into a mac store to get it fixed and apparently it's fine. Took it back home perplexed, gave it a couple more tries and it just decided to work again.

Now... after having no more issues with it for over a month. One night i just dropped off the network again (i use a macbook). Could not find my user network... so i reseted it again... same problem all over again.

What's strange is i took it into work and it was fine! Netwrok was easily detectable.

Anyone experiencing issues like this? Does location ( i don't know, maybe my apartment has too many wireless users?) have anything to do with this.

It's very frustrating. Please help

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

try changing the channel.

also microwave ovens and some cordless phones can cause interference with wi-fi.

3. amospang thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Thanks.
    I do actually have a cordless phone next to the airport. however, i did try setting it up in another room to no avail.
    I've set up my express with a new username network at work and will bring it home, plug the modem in and give it another go tonight, changing the channel and unplugging my cordless.

Any other advise if this fails?

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Setting a cordless phone next to a router not running on 5GHz (wireless N only) is a bad idea. Cordless phones run at 2.4GHz, the same as all routers running wireless G, B or A.