Airport Express, Stream and Extend?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by illegalprelude, Dec 10, 2009.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Hi you guys and gals, I was wondering if the Airport express can both Extend the network created by an Airport Extreme and Stream Music or its one or the other and not both.

thanks in advance as always

2. aresinferno macrumors regular

Yes it can do both, mine sure does. However using it to extend a network may increase the range but if you are already within range but feel that the number of wifi bars is low it won't really give you a better connection speed.

My current setup is: extend network, wirelessly print and stream music.

3. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Oh wow, I didnt think it would do all of those. Yea, the issue is actually something more odd. For a client, I switched him over to an Airport Extreme but his Mac Mini in his Kitchen, the signal and speed are just all over the place. Sometimes its great, other times he complains that the speed is horrible (although everytime ive been there, its been working fine) but im not sure what would cause his signals and speed to go up and down and in the next room, he has an airport express I setup for streaming music, so I figured, I would try to extend the network and see if that helps?

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I also have an Airport Express extending an Airport Extreme network and set up for airtunes. Works great except when the phone rings. My guess is your friend's network is suffering from interference from something. Microwave ovens supposedly cause problems. Wireless phones also cause problems.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

since it's in the kitchen, it could be the microwave, it runs on the same frequency as wi-fi (2.4 GHz) and can cause interference.

I have an express in my kitchen for music, and I've just accepted the fact that when i run the microwave, i have no music.

6. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Here is the thing though, the router is an N router which is 5ghz (although its set to automatic, so it might be running at 2.4ghz for all i know..)

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

8. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

So we think a good remedy might be, set it to Broadcast at 5ghz, switch it to channel 1 and then also extend it with the Airport Express?