Airport Express streaming in only one channel

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by underhill, May 26, 2008.

1. underhill macrumors newbie

Hi -- my wife and I use an Airport Express to stream iTunes music (on her Mac, my PC) to a Bose Wave Music system. The problem is that the sound in one of the channels (not sure if it is the left or right) is greatly diminished. It does not cut out completely. but you can barely hear it. Very frustrating when listening -- you only get half the music! CDs played thru the Bose work fine (full channel, stereo sound) so I'm guessing it is an Airport problem. Any thoughts on how to solve this very frustrating problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Cable connecting the Airport Express to the Bose sound system in fully (assuming you aren't using optical)? If it is slightly out, then you'll only get one channel of sound.

3. balk macrumors member

plug in headphones to check if it is indeed the Express

4. underhill thread starter macrumors newbie

it's the Bose

Thanks for the input on this -- it's a problem with the Bose, not with the Airport.

5. timmac12 macrumors newbie

same problem here and its the airport express

Hi there, I have the same problem.

I also use Airport Express to stream iTunes music, in my case to a Yamaha system. In my case also since some times one of the channels is greatly diminished.

I plugged in headphones to check and its the same with the headphones, except if i pull out the headphones a little bit, then i can manage to find a position - very slightly pulled out - where i can hear on both channels. However, I cannot replicate that with the mini stereo cable from the Yamaha (also tried a second mini stereo to doulbe chinch cable ).

Is the thing broken? It can't be that i need a special mini stereo plug, or do I? That would be weird, because it worked before with.

Any help is appreciated.

Tim

6. davidowenofz macrumors newbie

airport express streaming

I found that if you push the plug in too much i lose one channel. just try pulling teh 3.5mm plug out a fraction - worked for me.

7. apeuluser macrumors newbie

Hello, I have the same problem, it seems it comes from the jack inside the airport, when I switch the jacl a bit I have two speakers working....
    But I am not very confident in that way to operate..

8. DoodleWorks macrumors newbie

One bad channel on Airport Express

Only one channel was working on my older version 6.3 Airport Express. Restarted, reconfigured, rebooted... Tried jiggling the jack as recommended, tried another jack, and plugged in earphones as a final test. Same result. Only one channel.

Fortunately, I had another 6.3 Airport Express that I was not using. Plugged it in and "Voila!", it worked. Don't know how long I had been listening to only one channel, but happy to be back in stereo.